AVG free/pro or net security?!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by pengie, Aug 9, 2008.

1. pengie

pengie Bit Poster

Hi all,
    I recently got rid of Norton Internet Security and downloaded AVG free and now I'm considering getting the AVG Anti-Virus Pro or AVG Internet Security...I just wanted to find out what everybody would recommend.

pengie x

2. postman

postman Byte Poster

AVG free is good enough for me but only because I practice safe surfing (please insert your own jokes).

WIP: A+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

AVG free works for me too.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Pro is basically free with a bunch of memory gobbling pieces of crud slapped onto it to make it look more impressive. I've found that on a machine with low memory you have a higher chance of getting infected using Pro because it just doesn't work properly when Windows is paging to the hard disk non-stop. Free is good enough. I suggest combining it with something like Malwarebytes Anti-malware and running Combofix on your machine once a week. The latter two will find and peel out the crap that AVG Free and Pro miss.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I've found AVG free to be rubbish, to say the least. It has missed infections (although very minor ones) and reported false positive on tools that I use for development!

Use Eset Smart Seurity. Small, fast and gets the job done. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

And cost .)

Avast - free

7. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Yes, but I'd rather pay and have great security, than not pay and have poor security. It rather defeats the purpose of having the software in the first place if it doesn't serve it's purpose - even if it's free. :rolleyes:

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  8. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Absolutely agree that it's totally worth the money. I've used AVG for years in the past and had to deal with numerous infections that it missed, I'm now running ESET Smart Security on 50+ machines and it's brilliant! Very fast, light weight and easy to live with.

Just think about the trouble an infection could cause you in terms of loss of data, downtime reinstalling, loss of privacy, bank/paypal/gaming accounts compromised.

Eset nod32 is well worth the money. Check this comparison out here

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  9. neutralhills

I've not been infected in four years of using a combination of AVG Free + Spyware Guard + Firefox on my main system. I also run the no-script plugin in Firefox.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I like AVG, I usually install it as a free alternative on some peoples pc because it runs great, it has pretty good detection for a free anti-virus and it doesn't constantly ask for user action. Personally though I use Kaspersky which I payed for and yes it does use more resources but it's one of the best for detection plus I have a fast system so no problems here.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

All I'm saying is the protection AVG-Free gives you may not be as good as you think it is. I've never been infected either because like you I know how to surf safely and have no-script add-ons etc. BUT I've seen many users still get infected even though their AVG definitions are up-to-date.

It's like having a FREE bullet-proof vest which you like the colour and you've never been shot before because you stay out of the dangerous parts of town. But how do you know the FREE bullet-proof vest is any good? And surely the whole reason behind wearing a bullet-proof vest would be for the protection it could offer?

If I wanted the very best protection I'd install Kaspersky but as mentioned it does have a performance hit and can be annoying with nag factor and complicated interface. So the next best protection which is easy to live with is ESET Nod32.

I used to use AVG myself for years!! Last year I evaluated and researched all the AV products for work over a period of 3 months and the findings changed my mind somewhat.

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  12. neutralhills

Mercury, I'd say that AVG Free is around 90% complete. However, at the price, the value proposition is compelling. Especially since I can get the other bits I need to provide the remaining 10% at no charge. Frees up $$$ to purchase that next lens, dontchaknow. :-)

I'm hoping that the WINE Project will get to the point where CS3 runs perfectly under *nix in the next six months, and then this whole conversation is mooted. Photoshop support is the only reason I still run Windows.

13. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

There are many out there to choose from i've tried ones that ppl say are good and vice versa, they'll give you a good idea, but you've got to think to yourself why are they saying:

This is crap or this is the best

I myself go with avast 1 because it's free and 2 well you can take a look for yourself and see why else ;)

plus firefox and no script are always a good plus

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I also recommend avast! I switched from AVG purely for the reason the former is far more customizable and the annoying pop-ups from AVG used to annoy me far far too much.

If you wish to stay away from the free versions for better peace of mind then I whole-heartedly recommend avast! pro. Information on this product can be found.... here :P

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA