Average salary for entry level I.T job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Feb 9, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi All.

What is the average salary for an entry level I.T job such as ICT Technician / Frst Line Support?

Is it between 15 - 18 k in the UK?

In my local area (WestMidlands), I have seen IT Technician jobs advertsised between 12 to 18k!

FatP:D

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Depends on many factors location, company, training they will provide, future prospectus, at a guess I would say between 10k and 24k, depends on all the above.

Certifications: A few.
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

:blink There isn't a straight answer to this question. The best advice would be to check out job sites for various “entry-level” roles across the UK and determine an average. In the end it will depend on a number of factors...

- Cost of living: London probably has a higher cost-of-living than New Castle. Salary is adjusted accordingly
    - What constitutes an entry-level I.T. job at one organization may be different at another (call center; help desk; ...)
    - Company size & reputation: Some IT shops may not have resources to train so they want quite a bit of experience from the candidate. Others might have quite a bit of resources so they can take on very novice staff and undergo training.
    - Company Industry: Health care seems to be on the rise while other industries are taking a beating. A company can't loosen the purse strings if they've got net losses for the year.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

£12k - £15k seems reasonable to me. Even lower if its a trainee post that you're looking for. 8)

5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree with SGUK, in London you'd probably be looking at £14k - £18k, but elsewhere £12k - 15k is about bang on.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Very good asnwer from sunn. I am JUST looking for peoples opinions rather than specific figures. :)

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Basically entry level IT jobs (like any other job) can start anywhere from minimum wage upwards.

Under 18 (gross): Approx £6541.60 to upwards
    18 - 21 (development & gross): Approx £8850.40 to upwards
    22 and above (gross): Approx £10620.48 to upwards

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Minimum wage is normally reserved for unskilled jobs, sure you could earn that, buf if you have any skills and if you are really in IT i'd expect you to be earning quite a bit more. I started on £12k around thirteen years ago, and even then the starting salary for an IT graduate was supposed to be £15k. With todays inflation how anyone can live on less than £12k is beyond me...

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/Show...ch_by_job_category/LMI_Search_Results/p!egajF

Puts average at £20k for graduates in IT.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/students/graduation/story/0,,1812528,00.html

Puts graduate average at £18k for all professions.

http://www.recruiter.co.uk/Articles/334093/GRADUATE+SALARIES.html

Puts graduate average at £20k for all professions.

So anyone with some skills or qualifications should be on at least double the minimum wage, which is after all a minimum !

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

£12-15k unless you are in London.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I was on 18k when I was in the helpdesk role, but some of the senior guys were on 28k+ because they did extra admin work etc.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I started on 12K on frontline support. Rose to 15 when i got an internal promotion to another department. Im now on a fair bit more, but that required a move to a different company, and a different line of work.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I started on 16k and that was outside of London as a temp. The permanent staff were on 17.5k.
    I think this amount is the standard for the company I work for - irrelevant of whether inside/outside of London.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  13. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

wow reading this thread salary

I was looking at an ICT School salary was 14k I did think they was taking the p!ss. :eek:
    Anyone worked as an ICT Technician at a school?

Bizzy days/dull days

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yes, and 14k is probably average for an entry level tech position at a school.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Thanks
    Could get a bigger salary at Tesco :(

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wonder if thats why I have been rejected for some jobs that I have applied for, some of them have been application forms where you have to fill in a current salary section and my current salary is £18888. Maybe the employers I have sent the applications to have thought don't bother replying because he wont want to drop that much in wages.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Really? My experience of working for supermarkets (Asda) was that unless you were management, they scraped alongside the minimum wage.

Plus, the fringe career benefits with Tesco are possibly slimmer...

And GBL - it may be a factor, but it shouldn't be if the employer really wants to take a look at you - I would have thought they'd at least ask if you'd be prepared to take the drop? Unless they're thinking of offering 13/14K, which then may be unlikely...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That may be true, but can you also get IT experience at the same time at Tesco? Sometimes you have to bite the bullet on salary for a while in order to get what you need experience wise.

I was on a low wage at a company I used to work for and they certainly got plenty out of me, but likewise I used my time there well and gained plenty of experience and skills. It's a two way street really ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, that *could* be a reason why you've been rejected. They ask the salary question for a reason: to filter out people who might require too much salary. Next time you're asked that question, you might consider answering with, "£18888, but I expect there to be a drop in salary when switching careers", just so you increase your chances of staying in the running.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Or maybe you should just use their own terms against them. 'Negotiable'

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present