Autodesk Inventor 2009

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Anyone use / support this?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Rings a bell... I may have used it in the past but it's not something I currently support.

CAD, right?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Think I've found the solution (a premature post - sorry)

Customer is having issues.

He had a Dell Optiplex 745 with 4Gb RAM and a Radeon x1300 series Graphics card (256Mb dedicated mem)

Machine was working fine until they installed this software...now though anything he does from within the program is really slow / freezing. I figured it must be some kind of graphics card issue or driver setting and, sure enough, on the website they have a driver finder:

http://www.inventor-certified.com/graphics/findDriver.php

Also, from within the software you can change the performance settings - open GL etc.

Must be to do with one of the above!

Cheers,

Lee

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The processing power required to render models inside CAD applications is usually huge.

If you have the latest driver for the GPU then it's more than likely going to be down to the detail of rendering set in the program.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:hhhmmm thanks...

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Aww, the customer has just gone home...will have to wait until next week to finish this one. Thanks for the pointer QS...will check drivers against website...then take a look at settings!

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I've supported a customer with Autodesk Mechanical Desktop in use.

Had a similar problem which turned out to be SOPHOS causing a problem after an update. They took ages to sort it as they (SOPHOS) had to liaise with Autodesk in the States.

Might be worth checking to see what AV/AS software is running.

Also seem to remember that these CAD packages have various service packs of their own which have to be installed.

Apart from that, as other shave said, graphics can be a big issue with these. Generally I have always recommended the customer fits a PNY Pro series card that is optimised specifically for CAD applications. See here for details.

HTH

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Something else to check, certainly with Autocad 2008, in task manager there will also be a comms process associated with Autocad/Autodesk products, this has been known to slow down or make machines hang, usually if you kill it once, the problem doesnt come back again, but you also need to check the update options with in the program.

As soon as I can find the info for it, i'll post it.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Still having issues with this one.

I have been narrowing it down...drivers now fine and changed some of the settings (as suggested) from within the application.

A lot faster...

...but then two issues were left.

One of those was when customer went to browse the network for files - it took an age (there were no disconnected network drives or anything like that).

(Worked out that this was just in general - not only via the software) To resolve this, I went into registry and changed a scanning setting for Ie and Explorer - which did the trick :blink (yay)

...but one issue left. When he goes to save anything locally - excellent. When he goes to save to a network location, it takes up to 15 minutes!!! (this only happens through the software)

Contacted the providers but they couldn't resolve...

At my company, there is a script that saves their autodesk files to a temp folder - they make changes to it...then when they have saved, script uploads the changes...I wonder if without such script
    what is happening is every time the software does anything with a file it is trying to pull all data associated with the file??

Though, if that were the case, surey the issue would be a lot more common?

Perhaps it is a process interfering with it?

We did try killing that task as mentioned above (I forget the name of it now too), but the customer had previously done this with another machine with the software on it and it had worked fine after killing it the once...didn't work on this machine though :blink

Tried turnng off various processes etc but no joy!

Any ideas?