Attack off the Event ID 565

Discussion in 'Software' started by Danmurph, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I have posted but could really do with you help.

I have an issue where the security log on my DC's is getting flooded with event ID 565 - Directory Service Access Audit Success.
    I need auditing enabled for AD as we are using auditing software that requires this setting to be on.

I have looked at and tried everything I could possibly find on the net - Attack of the Event ID 565

I have checked scheduled tasks, automated processes, third party software etc and I just can't figure out what is causing it.

I have around 30 W2K3 DC's and it seems to happen on these at different points in the day at different times, its not constant or consistent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my AD Audit is failing because of this,

Many Thanks,

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well, surely you expected this? I mean if you're auditing AD Access then you should realise that any time you access AD successfully then you're going to get a Success event. This is why leaving Auditing on is known to be extremely noisy and space consuming (and unless you configure your event logs correctly can either stop working or over write important events because you're not saving your event logs.

If I were you I would look at exactly you have configured and where, make sure you don't have anything configured that's not supposed to be and if worst comes to the worst speak to the vendor of the software product that 'requires' the setting to be on.

Personally speaking I wouldn't be using AD Auditing for software usage, that's what products like SNOW and SCCM are used for.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA