At what point

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Would it make sense to apply for Networking jobs either Internal or External?

I have the Network+ and working towards the CCENT, then the CCNA. So is it worth applying once I have my CCENT?

Cheers

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

with your calibre you should run for president. Yes I believe you should apply, I think you have the right attitude when it comes to IT I see you on here talking about all the studying you're doing etc and If I ever had an IT business I'd come to certforums and give you a job on the spot.

Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Jaron78

Ah Nice one Mate, Thank you.
    I think in 4 Years, I may apply. Someone needs to fix all the sh1t3 that current idiotic administration-to be will break :)

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

why wait though? from my time in IT and speaking to people who have worked in IT for years, alot of getting these jobs is open about the person more than what they know. IT seems to be like no other industry, character can get you as far as qualifications it seems, and if you are applying internally chances are your boss knows your already committed.

5. Jaron78

I mean the Presidency mate :)

6. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

the only thing holding you back might be experience, which isn't really a big deal, but there's a few options:

- apply internally and get to know the guys first, volunteer with them if they're doing out of hours/weekend stuff so you have some experience of how they work
    - volunteer work with a charity in your spare time - you'll learn a little and get more confidence while having some practical experience for your CV. this will stand to you for both external/internal jobs
    - fake it til you make it and apply for internal/external roles and fake it til you make it. A lot certs are great but can't teach you how a network team actually work day to day. This you can only learn once you're in the job. Even if you have 10 years experience and start somewhere new you'll still be learning their ways of working for the first few months anyway

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design