At what age does your career peak?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Jun 7, 2009.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi Guys.

I was having a conversation with one of the people I went to university with regarding age and career paths. He said to me that most people regardless of whatever industry they are in, tend to be doing the same thing at 30 years old onwards. By this I mean, whatever your doing then (at 30) is probably what you will be doing there on in your career for the rest of your life.

Not neccesarily true... as people change careers, get promoted etc but what do you guys think?

FatP

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The same job? or same profession? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've been doing the same thing since 21, so guess we're all stuck then ! :D

I think employers are generally more prepared to invest in younger people.

Getting any employment appears to get harder for many as they get closer to retirement.

I think most people make it by 30 if they are going to make it, doesn't mean nobody makes it later though...

4. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I've been doing computers since age 24 (now 40). I'm currently saving every penny I can and cherry-picking auctions on used restaurant equipment with a view towards opening a gallery, bakery, and tea house by the time I'm 45. I was originally a trained pastry chef and broke my back in my early twenties. I've healed up enough since that I feel confident about going back to it. The computer thing just sort of happened.

Frankly, 20 years of driving Bill Gates getaway car is ENOUGH, y'know?

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've been doing the same job since I was 20 but now I'm approaching 30 I'm determined not to continue in my current role. I'm still staying in IT but want a totally different job. That said, if I get the job I'm after I may stay in that for the rest of my career :twisted:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Your career peaks just before you retire if you are good at it

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I changed careers into IT at 31 doing 1st Line Support. Just hit 32 and starting 3rd Line Support.

So no, as long as you apply yourself with the right aptitude and attitude throughout your career you can change and be successful at what ever you do.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

What did you do before IT mate? You've done very well in a short amount of time, I take my hat off to you sir

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Persistency, hard work and determination is the name of the game regardless of which ever career you're in age or otherwise.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I have been - at various times in my working life:

A Fishmonger
    A Landscape Gardener
    A Delivery man
    A Roofer
    A Bricklayer
    A Hod Carrier
    A Civil Servant
    A Librarian
    A Trade Union Rep
    A Till Engineer
    A Project Manager

... none of them satisfied me even remotely as much as working in IT. If my career had 'peaked' at 30 I'd still have been a goddamn Database Admin - so that's absolute pants for a start. Since then I've been a Network Admin, Server Engineer and Security Engineer. Now a Senior Systems & Networks/Technical Architect. The only way for me to go from here is into a senior managerial role - and I don't want to do that (too far away from the nerd stuff) so I'll probably stay doing what I'm doing for the next five or so years, then see what happens. If you;re good at what you do, your career peaks when you want it to.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Exactly right! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Crumbs, I have done the following (actually in this order):

- Customer Service
    - Team Leader
    - Office Manager
    - Project Manager
    - Pre/Post Sales & Integration Manager
    - Financial Advisor
    - 1st Line Support
    - 2nd Line Support

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It peaks when you want it to.

I am still working towards where I want to get to.

My Jobs have have been:

Cleaner
    Kitchen assistant
    Delivery bloke
    Tele sales
    Shop assistant
    Bread packer
    Response handling Administrator
    Database inputter
    CTP Operator and server configuration bloke (no official title).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'll tell you when I'm thirty...

I can see myself remaining within the IT profession for the rest of my career. That being said, if a publisher comes along with the right offer :tune one I actually FINISH the book

But so far, I have been as follows:

Trading Standards Admin
    Warehouse Supervisor
    Concrete Slab Packer
    FLT Driver
    Salesperson
    First Line Support Supervisor

So we'll see where the next step takes me :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Aha I knew I couldn't be the only one!

Anyway, my dad has his 55th birthday today and whilst his entire career has been spent as an electrical engineer the number of different jobs hes had within that umbrella have been many and varied. Hes worked his way up and worked in training, health and safety, project management and christ knows what else and most of that has actually happened since he turned 30.

The latest change was to a higher managerial position all of about a month and a half ago.

So, your career peaks when you want it to.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Strange, I got to 30 and decided i wanted to do something different to my then employment.

So I decided I would like to swap for a career in IT.

Why did I make this decision, some say I was bored with my life , my GF said I needed a new challenge.... I think it was because I was hit in the head by a winch just before my 30th birthday and I have not been right in the head since then:biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  17. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Nah, I think moving into IT was good call, I do have a job I don't mind getting up in the morning for, and who needs sanity anyway.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA