Asus to begin installing Linux on all new motherboards

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, May 18, 2008.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Asus is going to start installing Linux in the form of Splashtop on every new motherboard they produce. They have been putting on their very high-end boards, but now it will be installed on all of them. What it does is give you a bootable computer from which you can surf the net and do a few other simple tasks without having to install or boot to an OS.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1863

I keep telling you guys Linux is here. I don't do that to get in your face but to try to help you understand that this is going to be a needed skill in the not-to-far-distant future. It's here in a big way and its only going to get bigger. You Windows-only guys better get ready for the future.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I think it’s a great idea. I knew Asus put this on the top end boards, it came up in my research when I bought my Asus board recently. There is no doubt Linux users are increasing week by week, but it will never have the market share of Windows. I think Linux is more for the computer enthusiast, can't see old Mrs Jenkins down the street arguing with the sales man in PC World because she wants her new super fly laptop to come with Mandriva not Suse Linux. I have spent some time installing a few distros and had a play with Knoppix on a live cd. I may do a Linux+ after my MCSE is finished.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Old Mrs. Jenkins down the street isn't going to be buying a new "super fly" laptop to begin with. However, she is most likely on a rather limited budget, and the savings that open source offers to her is going to be an attractive option to her when she learns about it.

As to corporate never moving to Linux don't bet on it. There are some major corporations now that use Linux on the desktop in portions of their every day operations, and a growing number of small businesses that use Linux on their desktops too. Some of the industries in which these small businesses are located might surprise you. So too might the vendors who are selling Linux on the desktop to the corporate world.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3637927999.html

Here's a link to a Google-cached page of organizations using Linux. Yes, a lot are companies using Linux on the server end, but you will also find quite a few organizations of considerable size using Linux on the desktop too. I don't know if they are listed in the link below the state of Indiana school system is migrating a step at a time to Linux on the desktop and there are multiple municipalities and school districts that are doing the same thing, or have already completely migrated to Linux and away from Windows desktops.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...sa+migrated+to+linux&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1