Asus EEE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andy-d, Aug 1, 2007.

1. andy-d

andy-d Bit Poster

I'm not sure if anyone has already started a discussion about this thing, but what do we all think? http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/06/06/asus_shows_wee_eee_pc/

WIP: A+
  2. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

i will be 100% purchasing 1 or 2 :P

3. andy-d

andy-d Bit Poster

AH good, not just me then :P

WIP: A+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I rarely ever used my PDA... so for me, this would likely get used less.

My wife's already got a tiny little tablet PC... so I'll not likely be getting one anytime soon. Cute little box, though.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

If it comes with the women in the photo, i'll be getting 5 or 6.

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

its ideal for college to be honest and perfect for students who are at UNI and on a budget, or for someone that just wants a laptop to play around with.

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Can I just *do the bump* on this one?

I'm looking for a preferably as small as possible form factor lappy, mainly for train journeys (and possibly when I'm riding shotgun in other half's car - I'm a terrible passenger seat driver, and writing would distract me from nagging him about his driving!)

Did anyone actually purchase the eee? If so, what did you think?

I don't mind budget-wise (up to around £800) but obviously, the cheaper the better.

I was looking at either the Eee or the Tosh Libretto U100.

If neither of these came up "trumps" I was just going to splurge out on an XPS M1330 which, whilst not 'small form factor', seems to give a lot of bang for the bucks you have to pay.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. BosonMichael

This is what I'd recommend for train journeys and riding shotgun:

[​IMG]

Small, light laptops are for wusses. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

The EEE does look interesting, but I just purchased a used Dell laptop that has more power, a bigger screen and more space for less money. I don't need "small" so I'm not an ideal customer for the EEE.

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

We've had one of the EeeeeeeeeePC's in here for evaluation.

It looks quite nice from what I have seen of it, and are ideal for basic use. From what I know Asus are shortly to be releasing a Windows version of it.

Personally when I tried using it I found that the keys were hard to type with because of their size. Ideal for children though.

8)

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

12. Arroryn

I have to say I'm not much of a Mac fan, so I'll have to have a spare wedge of cash before I experiment on one of those :biggrin

What do you think of this before I press the buy button :p

13. BosonMichael

Two suggestions:
    1) Get the faster 7200 RPM drive if you can afford it.
    2) DEFINITELY get a larger battery - I'd recommend the 9-cell. Yes, it'll make the laptop weigh more. But what good is a laptop that doesn't stay powered up for long?

Personally, I'd also get the video card upgrade... but I'm just wired like that. :)

14. Arroryn

I've ordered my foo-foo laptop (the EEE)

I state here and now: I get away with it, because I'm a girl. Our 6"2 second line guy who has also ordered one has no excuse.

It should be arriving with me at work tomorrow, and I'll be hammering it on a trip down to the Big Smoke on Saturday, so I'll be giving you guys and gals a review on the hot lil' rocker.

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I used the HP NC2400 on my last job. Its ideal for the train - doesn't weigh much at all, even with a beefy battery that gives about eight hours' useful life. Awesome lappy - best I've ever had for 'the job'

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

From the reviews I've read about the EEE, not only does the 6'2" second line guy have no excuse, he probably won't be able to type on it; I've heard it's pretty hard too type on if you're used to a full-sized keyboard! I'm interested in hearing your review of the little guy.

17. BosonMichael

So did you go with those suggestions? Or did you ignore me like everyone else does? :p:D

18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Guy at works got an Asus EE, I was not that impressed overall, good for the money, but more of a toy, I'd have gone for

Macbook
    Dell XPS
    HP

in that order from what I now know after seeing guys Macs at work and lugging my XPS M1710 around.

19. Arroryn

Well, I am writing now on my brand spankingly new and wonderful EEE.

It is, if possible, even tinier than the adverts suggest.

The keyboard is minute - impractibly so for some, possibly. But I have tiny pixie hands, and the only issue I've had so far is with hitting the up arrow instead of shift. So not getting in the way massively, and I'll be up to my normal typing speed in no time at all.

The boot up was impressively quick, and initial setup is minimal.

It runs with OpenOffice preinstalled, and uses the Firefox web browser, although I do not know which version. I'm going to have a more thorough mooch around, and put an official review up in the articles section.

But on initial impressions, for the price (a snippet at just under £200 including next day delivery) it will be well worth the investment.