Asterix - VOIP software

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ManicMonkey, Oct 5, 2007.

1. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Anyone had any dealings with this?

Im looking at upgrading my works ancient phone system ( its a customer help desk environment) and was just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this?

Ive had a look at the website and wandered through the forums (a little) just wanted to see if anyone has CF experience ;)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've no personal experience of it - but it seems to be the main choice if you want to 'roll-your-own'.

There are even some books published now on running it!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

We are looking into a system that is based off of Asterix and it is set it up for one client so far. Another group we work with sells it to their clients and like it.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  4. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Are you going to be installing configuring and supporting it?
    Or are you looking at getting it installed for you

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  5. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

I've installed it to the tune of over 40 endpoints, 30 hard and 10 soft. The implementation was full VOIP, a 2MB sync 1:1 contented connection, with compression allowed for 30 concurrent calls. The call quality was very good.

I used Asterisk 1.2 and Freepbx 2.2.3 (although there is a newer ver now)

The hardphones were Snom 320's and the soft were the SJ Phone.

30 end points were for normal office staff, whereas the 10 softphones were for a CS based environment. The CS operators used USB headsets from plantronics.

Installation and configuration are very easy as in getting your fav distro up and running and installing Asterisk and Freepbx.

Support really consists of A) The Asterisk server and B) The Freepbx environment and users with the endpoints.

B) If you do your own implementation at home and are familiar with a rollout and support of Freepbx and phones. You shouldnt have any issues.

A) Asterisk on the other hand, is pretty stable. However, if it did come unstuck, then you would be in serious trouble.

I would suggest getting your company to buy the business edition of Asterisk. As then you would get support from them.

Any more questions, feel free to ask :)

WIP: Too many to mention
  6. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Starting to sound like I will doing the installing, configuring, and supporting. Most likely will be with Intuitive Voices EvolutionPBX.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry to butt in, the softphones you refer to, they are just basically software on the PC, that the USB headphone get's plugged into?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

Corrent: Either SJPhone, X-Lite, or Firefly.

WIP: Too many to mention
  9. soviski

soviski New Member

I have internet phone line (VoIP). I tried two different fax machines, as recommend by the dealer. They do not work. I called the companies (Sharp and brother). They said that these are analog machines and they do not work on VOIP. Do you know any fax machines that would work? What is a good fax machine for Internet phone line (VoIP)? Thank you very much in advance.

10. Node

Node Byte Poster

Yeh I have used asterisx before as well, its good piece of kit, but would not recommend if you have over 50 users as it will be a nightmare to maintain, you need to know your linux pretty well.

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Had a dabble with Asterix but in the end opted for a Centrex based system from Gradwell - http://www.gradwell.com/voip/ - which was really easy to setup and maintain. You can also order phones from them pre-configured which meant easy install for remote offices. They also offer Asterix if required.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Fax machines and VoIP don't really play well together.

To maximize your chances the VoIP codec *must* be G.711. If it is set to anything else then fax is unlikely to work.

There is an alternate fax protocol ( T.38 ) for use with VoIP, but this has proved very unreliable. It also needs special hardware.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+