Assessing computer literacy

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Josiahb, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

(I had no idea where to stick this so if this is the wrong place then admins feel free to move)

We're embarking on a new (long overdue) push to improve the IT knowledge of our users and I want to take a baseline so I know where I need to pitch the training, does anyone know where I can find a decent (preferably free) quick computer literacy test I can throw at my users?

Or alternatively any suggestions on questions I should ask?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

A quick check in google brought up these suggestions.

The third link is probably whyt you're looking for.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What do you believe they need to know? Ask them questions about that.

In truth, I don't believe users need to know all that much. The more they know, the more they like to tweak, which causes problems. In my opinion, the best things my users needed to know are:
    1) where their data is stored and how to get it there
    2) how to maintain/preserve security (safe browsing/e-mail/app installation habits - as well as letting them know that we can monitor their traffic :twisted:)
    3) how to deal with problems when they occur (correct helpdesk procedure - whether they call helpdesk, e-mail helpdesk, or tell their manager; how to take screenshots of errors; what is an "emergency" and what is not)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!