Asking for advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gabor Hun, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Gabor Hun

Gabor Hun New Member

Hi all

This is my first post on CF. Just like lots of other people I would like to ask for a bit of an advice.

I am just finishing my A+ I have got exams in January. I have no working experience in the U.K. I worked in my home country Hungary as IT Technical Support Assistant within a small company, (setting up and maitaining pc`s, doing back ups and updates, installing Windows Operating systems and basic hardware troubleshooting) for 11 months.It was more on the technical side rather than software.Got knowledge of Office 2003,Outlook and Windows XP.
    I am just basically applying for 1st line helpdesk and IT Support jobs hopefully would be able to get one with that experience.
    My question would be that, Would employers consider my work experience even though its not from the U.K. and not from an English speaking country?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hello and welcome to CF:D. The answer to your question is that experience is experience regardless of the region of the world that it was acquired from. Take for example if you would be able to pull out a a faulty RAM and replace it with a functional one in Hungary i think you need to go through that same process anywhere in the world; get the point
    Good luck on your exams

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You should list the work in your home country on your CV when applying for jobs in the UK.

The experience is, of course, relevant. In the UK previous employer references are not what they were and in some cases they only confirm start and end dates and your job title. If it might be difficult for a UK company to get a reference from your employer in Hungary then to help, you could ask that employer to write you what is called a testimonial. That is an "open" letter that you can carry with you to show what work you have done. It may not carry much weight (too many people fake them) but it may help a bit.

HTH and good luck with the job hunthing.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)