Article/knowledge base

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Node, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hi, im thinking of creating some sort of an article/knowledgebase site for my personal use really, its something for me to put down my notes and solutions to problems, i dont really like using pen/paper as i might forget it when im on site or misplace it. I was thinking of hosting it on my own server and setting up restrictions for it so you would have to login to access it. Anyway what would you think of the idea? Have any other alternatives? Also can anyone recommend any decent scripts? I should alos be able to import/export the articles from the site to notepad or MS word, also a search function is a must.

*PS - not sure if this is the right forum for this, do apologise in advance if its not! *

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It sounds like you want to implement your very own little document management system :)

I have no experience of implementing this from scratch or creating one. I only have experience of the DMS we use at work, which tends to be resource hungry.

However, I think it's a great idea, and look forward to any suggestions you get, as I wouldn't mind trying something similar myself.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

you could try setting up your own web-based helpdesk system (there are free ones out there) the have integrated knowledge bases. Or try out sharepoint :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Another vote for Sharepoint.

Good idea but a nightmare to keep up to date. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Node

Node Byte Poster

thanks for the input ladies and gents! I have had a look at sharepoint and to be honest i dont think i could maintain it on my own, unless couple of CF members would like to help me maintain it and upload articles/notes to it :) any other solutions?

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  6. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

DMS and DMS lite are both nast nasty things. i cannot stand them they always break.

why dont you just create your own WIKI cos then you can build articals similar to what you want im not sure on the login thing.

or if you want a true KBs then you could try the Primus Eserver KBS if you can find a copy of it.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  7. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

In for Sharepoint. 8)

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  8. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

SharePoint has vast content management capacities so make sure you really need all that "under the hood".

Certifications: A+ and Network+