Arsebiscuits!!! Western Digital I HATE you :mad

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by zebulebu, Sep 12, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I don't believe this is happening to me. Earlier today I had just finished migrating all my ESX guests onto a spare box I brought up as a SAN (took the best part of six hours - I got up early on a Saturday to do it) so that I could reconfigure my (ahem) 'production' SAN as RAID 0 for better performance (my raid card is gash). That all went fine - powered it up, migrated all my VMs across... and ANOTHER Western Digital drive has gone tits up on me - FOUR drives in under 12 months. Lost everything - hurrah for VRanger backups!

Have spent four hours reconstructing RAID again with another drive I had to buy this afternoon on the way back from football and restoring VMs from backups. Of course, the one bloody VM I don't have a backup of from less than a month ago is my WSUS box... meaning I'll have to download a ****load of updates again.

Western Digital can lick my salties - I'm never buying any of their crap again.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that, I prefer WD over other marques myself. Been the most reliable drives I've had and worked with... (figuratively speaking of course... back in 97-99 when I did computer repair and installations, WD's were part of the most reliable disks around. We had tons of Seagates and others come back to us as dead. This continue on with desktop support and so on in consecutive years as well).

Did you by any chance buy them all at the same time/from a similar batch/same size or consecutive serial?

You might have hit a very bad batch or "type" of drive akin to the IBM "deathstars".

Currently running 2x36 gig Raptors on one desktop in RAID0 (yeah, not really worried if I lose the data), and two separate 300gig VelociRaptors on my new box (one for Vista and games, the other for 2008 and Hyper-V). So far so good, of course keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope you come through all right and try doing some mix and match next time I guess.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, serious case of turd biscuits!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Its just luck the drives may be good or bad no matter what brand they are.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Sorry to hear of the problems Zeb - The only ones I have have had like that were Maxtors - had 6 die in 8 months!

Hope your next set of drives goes better for you.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Name and shame please Zeb. Which WD drives, what capacity and where you getting these duffers from?

I've got 2 WD Black 500GB's that are rapid and still alive . . . for now

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That's the f***ers JK - Caviar 500Gb Black - Model # is WD5001AALS. Had three of those go on me in the space of a year (the other was a 640Gb Caviar Green). Al of them (except the green - God knows where that came from, I can't find an invoice for it anywhere) were from Dabs. I'll get a refund, but that's not the point - you can't put a price on the time it's taken me to rebuild everything and restore from backup.

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated storage box to run my SAN from - as well as a decent raid card. Anyone got any recommendations for a small(ish) tower server with 8-10 drive bays? I was looking at something like the ML150 (you can get it with a second drive cage) but I'd need to chuck in a good raid card as well (the entry-level e200i I have is pathetic, even with 128mb cache). Whatever I go with, it won't be filled with Western Frigitall I can tell you that

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Didn't you say that the last time one of your Westurd Digitals crapped the bed? :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

man thats totally wierd, i swear by my WDs and buy nothing else, I currently have about 27 in production use at my house, some of which are over 8 years old and have crossed the Atlantic two or three times in carry on and the hold

you seriously got shafted, but really, would you swap out for hitachi? I hope not! lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ah no I was hoping you Wouldn't say that. Thats where I've got my blacks from . . . .:eek: And I'm running Raid 0 . . . :eek: Think I better change that to Raid 1 ASAP!. Thanks for the heads up

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I've never had a problem with stuff from Dabs really, account manager always managed to help me out. Now I literally swear by Scan.co.uk which is 10 times better. wooop.

I've always used WD and Hitachi and I've yet to have a drive fail, one of them is over 5 years old.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3