Arghhh Loosing Motivation...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by craigie, Apr 19, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

OK, I'm on the last exam to complete my MCSE the 70-297 and I'm bored. Oh yes, I'm seriously bored as it's a recap of everything I have learnt so far.

I want to finish it, but have been looking at Cisco Labs on eBay and have seriously been thinking about buying some and learning a little about VB Scripting.

Aarrghhh, must stay on track and continue to read about User Account Naming Conventions, Planning A Password Policy and Authentican Strategy.

Hells bells, Craigie is loosing motivation, this is what stuyding 2 hours a day minimum for the last 11 months does to your nogin. It should come with some sort of health warning.

Time to move on now, gotta think about the end game.... Mr Craigie MCSE :D

What do you do to keep yourself motivated?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

All I can say is: Well you got though 70-291 and passed. and that DULL

Cisco Labs & VB one step at a time finish MCSE then look at other opinions.
    good god maybe you should take some time off !

on phone going to more

Come CF for pet talk from Bluerinse BosonMichael + others

keep telling my self one subject at a time trying to learn all subject at one time is insane I have tried with other MCPs
    also I sit exam when I'm ready and not when there a mark on the calendar!

I reward myself now if I done X hours of study and understand then I can watch a film or play one Xbox Them the rules .)

me giving out advise :D

3. korovyov

korovyov New Member

More earning power? And if it doesn't bring you even that ... I don't know how you worked up the motivation to do any of it in the first place. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCSA, MCITP
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I visualise my dream IT job and how I will feel bad for how over paid I'll be, but that soon goes away ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sometime's it's good to have a little break to revalitize the old brain when it comes to the same/related subjects.

It took me 1 year to gain my MCSA, then another year on top of that to gain my MCSE. To tell the truth there were times when I was going to pack it in, however by putting the MCSE to one side to do something else, eg whether it was to play a new game or learn something else. When I went back to it I found that I had renewed interest, I actually took info in alot faster and was more productive at work.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hang in there Craigie. I know i lost my motivation a few times, there really is a lot of stuff to take in and some of it is as tedius as hell. No harm in taking a break either, as long as you keep your goal at the forefront of your thoughts.

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I just envisage the studying I'm doing as something productive, Its a benefit to me. How I see it nothing that is productive to me will ever really get me down. If I'm really struggling to concentrate and finding it hard to motivate myself to study I tend to go out on my bike for a couple of hours then come back. I feel a bit more relaxed and can handle it. Likewise I tend to reward myself if I've done plenty of work in a day I feel I earned the chance to sit down and watch a film or go out.

I know how you feel about recapping the same information, I'm doing the 70-270 at the moment and I just feel like I'm doing a souped up version of the 271!! :D

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

For me it's getting the opportunity to do some gaming. I promise myself that if I do x amount of study then I get to do y amount of gaming. It seems to work for me (mostly).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Thats a brilliant method, I'm going to try that today! I currently do X amount of gaming with just a sprinkle of Y study ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

As you said matey - studying for two hours minimum per day is pretty hardcore but it'll be worth it.

And at the end of the day... it's only one more exam and that's it - done... Hello wonderful world of MCSE related shenanigans :)

Plus you're my inspiration, you can't give up now! :p Want to know how to steamroll an MCSE? Ask Craigie.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Out of pure shelfishness, you need to keep me inspired and motivated as well, plus what they all have said above.:bud

I do reward myself with an hour of COD4 after two hours of study.

I also know that my boss can't say I'm not trying to better myself with goal setting and it differs me from my slacker teammates too.

Plus "Mr Craigie MCSE" has a nice ring to it!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just go for it, Craigie - you're already an inspiration to the CF Community. Good luck, matey :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity