Are zips on the other side in the USA

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by michael78, Jan 18, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Daft question but as I know there are some American's on here my mother brought me back a jacket from New York for xmas and the zip is on the other side. On blokes clothes is the Zipper part on the left or right? Don't want to wear it if she bought me a lasses jacket.

Feel an idiot posting this lol :oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Must say, i really hadnt noticed which side my zip was on before and hadnt thought about it being gender specific!

Unfortuantely, i cant help you right now, but id be interested to see responses from our friends the other side of the water!

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

who cares? Is it cool? do you like the look of it?

There is historical significance to the side the zip is placed on (something to do with servants dressing you I understand, but that could be wrong), but at the end of the day I dont particularly care. I have hoodies with the zip on both sides. As long as I like it, I couldn't care less if it was originally designed for men or women.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a standard in the fashion world, but traditionally here, the men's is positioned on the right side and women's on the left.

5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I think thats is referred to as 'Cross-Dressing' :oops:

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you obviously arent aware of my purple nails then....

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Interesting thread
    I was aware that there was a M/F way of doing up a belt (which side the tail was on) but didn't know there was one that applied to zips

I assume being that most Zips are dead center, we are referring to which side the slider is on and nothing more?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Men button from the right, Women from the left. Simple as. :D JK on the other hand, buttons from both sides, but only after his facial and manicure.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Also aware of the button deal
    but how exactly does it apply to a zip? as soon as the zip is zipped up there is no way to tell how it was done up
    and even when its not done up the only evidence is the tiny slider at the bottom!

this is different to a jacket with three large buttons on it no?
    or a shirt with 10 buttons on it

with buttons there is an overlap of material
    with a belt there is an overlap of material, and that overlap appears on a certain side

there is no overlap with a zipper

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just leave it zipped up and you'll be fine.

If you bump into a bloke who notices that your zipper is on the wrong side, then he's probably gay so why should you care if he likes your jacket?

Probably best he doesn't to be honest.

I know that buttons tend to be the other way round, and I remember a very crude way they told you in the army about which way round a belt went. Something to do with private parts and a man always being right...

Is the jacket fitted?
    Is it snug in some places and, er, empty in others?

Is it pink with sequins on it?

Does your bum look big in it?

Ah, troubleshooting jackets.
    It's been a while...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. westernkings

It also applies to the zip. Only one side actually has a ZIP (slider) on it!, the other just has the Teeth (element). Left to right for men.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

As an American expat, I can say that the zip rules are the same there as here, i.e. men on the left and women on the right. It sounds like you were given ladies clothes as a gift. You can often also tell by the sizing on the tag. Is there something we should know?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  13. westernkings

He knows it was ladies, he is just gorging whether it is acceptable to wear and not frowned upon by his certification peers :twisted:

14. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Ah, then that would depend on how much you like it. But the time will inevitably come when your missus will pinch it complaining she is cold, find it unexpectedly easy to zip, and tell the known universe you wear ladies clothes. Now tell me, do you like this jacket THAT much?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I guess my comment was more 'why is it such a big deal' its a zipper, its not the most obvious M/F distinction, its not as if its a double breasted jacket! :)

16. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Lol no I'm not booked in for the op yet :blink

I didn't know this question would drum up so much debate lol. The zip is on the right but it's labeled L so assume it's mens unless the US uses S,M,L for womens clothes.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It's probably jekyll mate. That's why it's on the wrong side :twisted:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

the US uses S M L for pretty much everything
    its a very simple place

don't want to confuse the natives you know?

Whopper meal please, S M or L?
    new jumper please, a what? sorry, sweater.. S M or L?
    Coffee, S M or L in italian?
    new truck? M L or XL?

*ducks and hides*

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They have a small? :eek:

*runs away*

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  20. westernkings

Racist :biggrin