Are your certs linked to wages/bonus?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Dec 15, 2009.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi All,

I've noticed a few of us work for companies who inform us that achieving a specific cert can result in/increase chances of/guarantee (how ever you want to word it) either a wage increase or that you get your bonus/bigger bonus etc.

Hands up any of you who work for a company that recognise you gaining a cert whilst already in your current role as stated above.

When I joined my company I was told, in my individual case, gaining the MCSE cert was linked to my bonus for next year, along with my performance at work. It actually turned out that getting the MCSE wasn't that crucial, but it got me thinking about how many companies use certs as a motivation tool for staff. . . .

James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm from literally the opposite end of the spectrum. My boss doesn't give a rat's piddle about what Certs you have - if you do your job darn well, you get rewarded for it. Simples :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed. :D

4. JK2447

I agree with the two of you and its how its worked out for me. I was initially told certs would make a difference even tho I already had a job and I know Q's and Craigie for two off the top of my head have said their employers had said something similar

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I got a pay increase when I passed the final exam for the MCSE. I wasn’t expecting it but it was also tied in with extra responsibilities at work.

Also if you are working as outsourced IT support then it’s always good to say we have X amount of MCSE certified staff.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately my company doesn't see any value in rewarding employees who gain certs/quals etc.

In fact it is a real struggle to get them to pay for any training.

Though hopefully in the near future , I may be able to get them to at least pay for the exams, which is a start.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Are your certs linked to wages/bonus? No

Are the certs a requirement for your job? Yes & No. Our 3rd party accreditation requires us to be certified, for our external customers it's does show that we have the knowledge and skills, plus for insurance purposes.

Our organisation will either part or fully fund our training, whether it's 3rd party (eg class) or self-study, as long as it is directly involved with our job/duties/responsibilities - getting certified, if available, is just part of that process.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. JK2447

Thanks for the input all, anyone else? Seems we have a majority that don't have certs linked to salary/bonuses up to now. I'm not trying to go into why you do certs, just trying to gague if your employer ties them into your wages and or bonus (if you have one, a lot of places don't do bonuses)

9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I got a pay increase when I got the A+ but I think that was more a realisation that maybe paying me a whole lot less than an entry level IT position elsewhere was probably not that clever! (considering my job role covers pretty much every level of support) :p

Any further certification is probably likely to result in no particular change in my pay or bonus at the moment, we're very lucky to be seeing any bonus at all let alone any pay review so we're all being grateful for what we get.

Working in the travel industry for a small niche firm isn't exactly a big money career at the moment!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My company don't care about whether we have certs or not - as long as you can do the job (or shall I say, as long as the job gets done and we (the company) don't get caught doing it badly by the end customer) the company doesn't care if you were dying and coming into work.

Considering its one of the largest 5 outsourcing companies in the UK its a pretty appalling record!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well with the way things are looking at my place, I don't think I'd be getting big bonuses or anything like that if I do get the MCSE... One of the reason I don't have even the MCSA is because I don't have the true experience yet, but I am getting there... My boss however is pro certification, in fact he pays for any exams I pass and study material which is great! I recently got promoted to a Network Administrator so I am just trying to get the experience to get the certifications. It's more of as long as he knows you're working hard, doing really well and learning alot, he recognizes that and that's what matters... My rewards to be honest is giving me more responsibility, promotion like I just got and support of course! After all it's my first real IT job.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The company I work for doesn't even know about certs, so I guess my answers are no they're not linked to bonus/wage increases and no they're not a requirement for the job. :dry

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Same here really. Whilst the school like to see certs and they will ask for them when there are vacancys, they (HR) don't really understand what they are for. In fact I had a real argument with HR when they were advertising for a new firstline tech and they wanted an MCSE :ohmy

So the study is now for my own use.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Similar to others, I am employed by an IT services company who want as many certified people as it's basically a tool they can use in sales/advertising and makes the company look good. I am however contracted out full time to an oil company, and they also want me to get certified but because it allows them to get more out of me because they can trust me to do more things.

To answer your question though lol, it hasn't been said specifically by my employer, but come pay review time it will be a factor in how much a raise i get i am sure.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The place I currently work would request an MCSE but it's not related to bonus and progression within the company. It's being done for my own personal career progression.

I have asked my boss to get us vouchers for MCP etc but he keeps giving excuses about our suppliers are messing things up etc. He did say I can sit the exam and get a refund for it through expenses but wouldn't want to rick that:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. JK2447

Same here, work for an IT outsourcing company and what you both said applies most of our staff. As Sparky and Daniel pointed out it seems outsource companies like you to have the main certs so they can dazzle their customers with them on paper, but obviously doing a good job is all that really matters.

I'm starting to feel like a reporter starting threads and asking questions :biggrin

17. KashMiester

KashMiester New Member

I work for an outsourced company supporting and actually located at a major law firm (for some reason we're onsite, but still an outsourced desk)
    Apparently i'm a IT 1st line analyst, but we seem to do way way more than other helpdesks (barring the physical side of IT support, repairing and fixing w/k's) - almost like their is no 2nd line here.
    Here we got i think only 2 guys with a qualified Microsoft Cert, out of 20 of us on the desk, and very few actually with an ITIL qualification, me included. But it seems this place employs ppl based on knowledge and experience and not on qualifications. For that reason alone i seem very hesitant on gaining qualifications if firms dont value it at all

Certifications: None
    WIP: None
  18. JK2447

Ah so there are IT outsourcing companies who are neutral when it comes to staff gaining certs, interesting.

19. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

In my old company we used to get a pay rise if we passed either an MCP, MCSA or MCSE. Needless to say that most people didn't bother and just stayed on the same money.

In my new company which is an Outsourced Managed Services company, they actively train you by sending you on courses and want you to gain your certifications as you WILL be using what you learn on the job.

In regards, to money, I'm not sure if the certs that I have achieved since starting (CCA, CCENT, CCNA) will get me a pay rise. However, I will say that I will be requesting a meeting with my boss in the New Year (which is when my probation period ends) and put forward the reasons to pay me more.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  20. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I would say that is extremley rare as when they are trying to gain business one of the things that alot of companies look for is making sure they are accredited with things such as:

- Microsoft Certified Gold Partner including competencies such as Advanced Infrastructure, Secuity Solutions
    - Citrix Gold Partner
    - Cisco Partner

If you imagine one company has these and another does not, wouldn't you as question why? Are the staff trained? Do they have the right skills?

These competencies/awards give the potential customer some piece of mind, that the people they are going to outsource to, have the required skill set.

Naturally, they would also speak to current customers, but every little helps when trying to obtain new business.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5