Are there any

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 16, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ISPs that give you a ethernet modem these days instead of a wirelss router?

I ask this because I will be changing ISP from October and I believe I live in a dead spot. When I first got my broadband I set it up wireless but had a slow connection & signal, sometimes it got worse but never better so I hooked up the router with an ethernet cable and have been running it that way ever since.

I live in a house that was built in 1700s and there's loads of lime in the walls (not sure if that would afect it) I am also surroung by hills n stuff which is bad for mobile phone signals (I can't get on unless I stand on my desk and hold phone a 38 degree angle :blink.

anyone know of an ISP that provides a modem and not wireless?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Not sure if i understand your question, but all (any that i have ever used) wireless routers come with ethernet ports as far as im aware.

WIP: LIFE
  3. greenbrucelee

I have my router connect through the ethernet ports, I was just wondering if anywhere just gave you a proper modem instead routers these days.

4. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Dunno, u could buy 1 on ebay or something like that, routers are far better though, i see no benfit in a modem apart from 1 less plug in the wall.

5. greenbrucelee

I havent got onto anything like routers/modems etc on the N+ book yet but is there a findamental difference in the technology employed? or is that a router can be connected to lots PCs (depending on what it is ofcourse)

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Generally you get a router with a 4 port switch and wireless capability so you get the best of both worlds.

If you need more ports just patch in a switch, happy days. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

You get a wireless router with residential broadband?:eek: That's pretty sweet.
    We only get a modem with any of the providers around here.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Uh... a proper broadband ISP WILL give you a router instead of a modem. :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the inmput guys, I am gonna start looking for a new ISP shortly. Be doesn't operate where I am I might go with sky or Tiscali. Is it best to buy a better router or go with the standard one you get from the ISP?

10. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Unless you want to do something fancy, like setup a vpn, then i would normally go with what you get from the ISP.

11. greenbrucelee

cheers Jon :)

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One of the features of the Sky router is that firmware updates can be pushed out by Sky. (Other ISPs may do this as well.)

Sky are currently in the process of doing this update, and this has resulted in a noticeable improvement of the stability of connections.

Obviously, if you change the router then you don't get the benefit when upgrades happen.

Also, some ISPs won't support you if you change the router and then call the help-line.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. greenbrucelee

Thanks Harry I have been considering sky since I already have sky TV apparently if I get the 2 meg service its free :)

14. Sparky

A few home users I support are on Sky BB, cant VPN into the office as it appears that kind of traffic is filtered.

Also you get a router with Sky firmware on it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  15. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I was with Sky, there technical support is a bit jokey. It used to be premium rate phone number as well although this may have changed.

I might have accidentally flashed the firmware on the router to open up all the options. Although this may be against the Sky contract.

The router is good. I checked for the none-sky version and it costs around £50.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  16. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I prefer to use a decent one. In my past experiences the ones you get from the ISP are cheap crap. Ive always noticed better sync rates with a decent quality router over the free one provided.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  17. greenbrucelee

thats what I was thinking but what happens if they send a firmware upgrade or something?

18. Sparky

Think the firmware upgrade may be tied into the MAC address (or pool of MAC addresses) of the original router.

19. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Nothing, a firmware upgrade will only install on the router its intended for.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  20. greenbrucelee

ahh right got ya.

See what I was thinking is when I go with whatever ISP I choose the router will probably be the same cheap netgear job I got with AOL and I was thinking about getting a Lynksys one that has a firewall in it.