Are N+ and the MCDST enough?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by hugorilho, May 12, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Hey guys. How well would I do in the job hunting jungle having only the N+ and the MCDST? Is A+ absolutely essential?

Certifications: MCDST
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Qualification wise, you will do as well, or even better, than those without them. However please note, that while they improve your prospects - they do not guarentee you a job.

No, but it does provide a very good base on which to build upon.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Depends on what job you're applying for. If you're more of a network wonk, prolly not. I personally couldn't hire you without it for insurance reasons. I run a rural computer repair business where we get a lot of boxen with bad PSUs, bad memory, heat damaged CPUs, etc. The A+ and MCDST are excellent certs that cover 90% of the work I do in my shop. The Network+, not so much.

Truthfully, I'd be more interested in your experience than your certs. The last person I hired was given a pile of parts and told he had half an hour to assemble the computer. That was the entire job interview beyond our introduction. He was a high school kid looking for part-time work. Had the thing together in 20 minutes and ready to load Windoze. Even had the sense to put on the anti-static strap that was in with the kit. Didn't have any certs, but he beat the pants off the one applicant I had with his MCSA.

After I hired Jon I couldn't let him work on anything without my supervision because of the insurance issue. I made getting the A+ a condition of his employment, I paid for the study materials and the exam vouchers, and he nailed it down within three weeks.

There's 2 cents worth from a small business owner in Western Canada.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs