are ccna+ccnp compatible with mcna/mcne

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Bodger, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Bodger

Bodger New Member

I am about to start a computeach course, involving comptia and cnna and ccnp, and was advised that it was mor acceptable and compatible with the mcrosoft mcna e se whatever, and was wondering if anone in here with the obveous knowledge can help :stpd

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I may be kind of dense right now but I'm having a tough time understanding the question. It seems as if you are asking if the CCNA/CCNP track is compatible with the MCSA/MCSE track.

I'm not sure how to answer it since both sets of certifications have to do with vendor specific software and in Cisco's case, hardware. Sure there's some overlap involving the networking concepts and it would be very handy to have a CCNP and an MCSE, but the specific knowledge base for Cisco certs and Microsoft certs aren't all that similar

Now, if I've answered the wrong question, perhaps you can help an old guy out by phrasing it in a way that I can understand a tad bit more clearly. :) Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Bodger

Bodger New Member

Sorry old fruit, its my fault. Im just starting the ccna/ccnp course through computeach. I have a basic understanding of where Im going but when it comes to the whole area of networks and where ccna/ccnp and microsof stuf are within it im not yet sure, just trying to picture it in my mind to see where i may need to develop skills that are not covered in the couse! Andy :dry

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Andy, forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, at a very basic level the Microsoft stuff tends to be the PC's,Servers and applications that run on a network. The Cisco stuff tends to be the routers and switches which sit between the PC's and Servers.

CCNA/CCNP will cover all aspects of networking using cisco routers and switches plus the theory behind it all

MCSA/MCSE will cover the Operating Systems on the PC's and Servers plus how they are networked in a perfect Microsoft world.

The only cross-over between the two certification tracks will be basic network theory, the two tracks approach networking from very different angles. You won't be taught about MS OS's on the Cisco track and you won't be taught about Cisco boxes on the MS track.

HTH
    Phil

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

"old fruit"? "suck eggs"? Ah...more "CertForum-isms" LOL. jk :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Bodger

Bodger New Member

Phil Old bean, not sucking egs, more like getting the answes i need in the baby talk i need. Im just starting out and the advice i was given on the route to take was right (especially after what you said), Just didnt know where everything fitted together. many thanks and a thousand blessings on your camels.