Apprenticeships?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ericrollo, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Apprenticeships

If i did an Apprenticeship in IT for say 2 years and got a HNC out of it as well, would an employer consider the 2 years as 2 years of job experience in IT. I have literally 3 interviews in the next 4 days for different IT roles ranging from straight software development, software and networking and an engineering one. Will i come out of an Apprenticeship looking quite good to an employer.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Any work related items you put on a resume can be considered experience. I've been the IT director for my church since the Windows 3.1 days. Even though it's an unpaid volunteer position I put it on my resume as work experience with my rector and assistant rector as references. However, remember that your resume may get you an interview, but your interview will determine if you get the job or not. Be careful what you put on your resume. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. ericrollo

Did not know churches needed IT directors or even computers really.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

By all means, yes. I've done IT support for several churches.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. ericrollo

The only churches i know is the one in my village which is only used by old people and they is a church in walsall which was to my surprise converted into a shopping centre.

Oh and they is the one just outside of walsall on my bus route with all the Islamic graffiti on it.

The only religious places i have seen which would need a limited amount of IT people are cathdreals like lichfield which are like 1000 years old and the Vatican City.

6. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

If you can get that sort of a deal from an employer then take it. Many can be very skimpy on offering development. I usually have had to come to some sort of compromise or have had to study in the evenings and self fund.

Go for it and good luck with the interviews!

Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Oh yes. Especially churches with child development centers in them.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes

Yes you can. The IT apprentice/IT Tech at our place is signed up to do the NVQ 2 in IT, but this could go up to level 3 or even level 4 (degree level). Plus we're signing him up to the NVQ in Customer Care as well as a few professional certifications. Added to that we've got the view of him going for the City & Guild level 4 diploma in IT and the ICTTech mark from the ECUK.

Ok to get the basic apprentiship qualification we estimate anyway up to 1 1/2 years, but all of the above up to 5 years...

It's a lot different in the US compared to the UK.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. BosonMichael

How so? Do they not need to keep track of parishoner information? Handle finances? Receive e-mail?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The church isn't as big as over in the US or as it once was, in fact the church (regardless of which branch of Christianity eg Nazarene, Methodist, Anglican low church or even the high church Anglican/Catholic) isn't as big over here compared to alot of countries.

While I can't speak for every single church, I can say that for the majority that I've seen. The individual church, if they have a PC is normally just run by the pastor/Priest (& his/her partner or the PA) on an individual basis. Church House (aka the head office) would be one of the instances where they would have enough to warrant an IT person.

And that's not including a lot of the other coutries where I grew up (yep, I was a missionary kid...).

It may have changed a bit since last I checked, but I very much doubt it...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. BosonMichael

Wow. I've helped administer computers for a church as small as 200 members. Not saying I was there full time... but still, everyone needs IT support from time to time.