Apprentice job in Salisbury

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 10, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

OK folks, spotted this one on my morning trawl round for jobs.

If you're looking to get into IT thent here's an apprentice job going. Details courtesy of www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk :

Location SALISBURY
    Hours 35 HOURS OVER 5 DAYS
    Wage £95 PER WEEK
    Work Pattern Days
    Employer Computersmiths
    Closing Date 16/11/2009

Pension No details held
    Duration PERMANENT ONLY

Description

The position is for an Apprentice IT Technician and will involve upgrading and repairing computers. Dealing with customers' queries both in person and on the phone. Work will be carried out both at the office and at customer sites. The training will be carried out 'on the job' whilst working towards an NVQ. There may also be opportunities to carry out Microsoft Certification during the course of the training. Skills Required - No formal skills necessary however an interest or knowledge of IT systems would be an advantage. Candidate must hold a full driving licence. Qualifications Required - No qualifications are required for the right candidate. Personal Qualities - Self-motivated and ambitious. The ability to prioritise own workload. The ability to work on own initiative. Excellent communicator. Enthusiasm to learn and progress.

How to apply

You can apply for this job by sending a CV/written application to Richard Smith at Computersmiths, [email protected].

Company website : http://computersmiths.co.uk/index.htm

Hope it's of help to some of you trying to get started

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

£95 per week :eek: for an apprentice :ohmy that kind of makes me feel like a tramp considering what I'm earning as a full time engineering recruitment consultant, I better hurry the **** up with my book reading for my A+ and N+ :D

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I'm sure if you read all the desperate threads from people trying to get into IT someone may feel it's worthwhile just to get a foot in the door.

I think it's comparable to the apprenticeship Ken had on offer at his school.

4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I think he was saying that's rather high.. :rolleyes: :p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

high? Thats low as hell! Thats not even standard minimum wage (95/35 = £2.71p/h).

It only works out at about £4940 a year, and given that its requiring a 35 hour week (ie, full time), I can just see no feasible way to survive on that, short of still living at home, and not having to pay rent, food, bills, etc.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ thats a pretty standard apprentice wage i think. Mechanics/plumbers/electrician etc.

And yeah, low as hell.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

its the legal wage for apprenticeships, but theres really no way of taking it if you live away from home.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. danielno8

yep. i would choose go to uni for 4 years instead.

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think they could claim rent and council tax rebates from the local council because of the low wage.

As far as I can tell, they're really aimed at school-leavers who don't go on to higher education. Earning £95 a week and getting some priceless work experience seems like a much better deal than paying all your expenses while your studying full-time.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I'm sorry I must not have been with it and I misunderstood Darkstars original post... :oops:

I some how managed to think it was £95 per day :eek:

In that case I take back what I said about feeling like a tramp, I couldn't live on £95 per week that would just about cover over half of my bills on a monthly basis, BUT! living at home with parents I would consider that for sure as a sarting point! good things come to those who wait aka waiting for that higher paid position!

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Guys - the purpose was not to generate a discussion on the value of the position and the pay. We have had a lot of new members on recently bemoaning that they can't get into IT without experience and I just spotted this as a possible solution for some of them.

These positions do exist but come up rarely. We all know the downside on pay etc. but as a starting point for someone in their teens with no experience it may be a help.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...which, though it will enable you to get a degree, will provide you with exactly zero real-world IT experience.

I can guarantee you that someone working in this position for even a few months would be more attractive to an entry-level employer than someone with a degree and no experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. danielno8

oh really...

perhaps. My degree has 1 years on the job as part of the course.

14. BosonMichael

I simply bring it up because many degree programs do not include an OTJ option. As long as it's a real IT job, then it'll be experience.

Still, consider: someone with four years of experience will typically be preferred over someone with a four year degree and one year of experience. The reason is because a degree isn't necessary for entry-level IT jobs. A degree merely opens up opportunities for you later in your career that would otherwise be closed to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. danielno8

My post was merely what i would choose to do. Although i do also understand your point, for me, I prefer choosing the option i did.

16. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

It was a good and rare find mate, nice one. Ideal for a youngster who's just left school. Lets drop the thread jacking and get back to encouraging people, particularly at the entry level where IMO life is hardest getting/keeping that 1st role.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  17. BosonMichael

That is fine; I post my advice for everyone else's benefit.

18. BosonMichael

Personally, I don't think it's thread jacking at all. The amount of pay is entirely relevant to the discussion and should be considered even for youngsters.

That said, even unpaid experience is better than no experience at all. So... there's all the encouragement anyone needs, mate: the truth!

19. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Exactly m8. Same thing (with the thread) happened the last time I posted a vacancy so I just don't think I'll bother any more. I'm starting to find the off-topic stuff and bickering all the time gets a bit much :rolleyes:

20. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Don't be put off mate, its very handy to people to see there are still apprentice and entry positions out there as I'm sure they are like gold dust these days.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs