Applying for jobs which require experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by vp, Sep 26, 2010.

1. vp

vp Bit Poster

Hey I have a question regarding these IT roles Im trying to apply for.

I have no previous IT experience, and some of these 1st line roles Im seeing on job sites require 1 year experience, some 2 years. Some require some specific cert or experience with a specific technology.

If I clearly dont meet the requirements, do you think its a waste of time even applying? Or should I just focus on roles where I meet the requirements?

Certifications: A+, N+, BSc CS
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Well, what have you got to lose from sticking your CV in? Worst they can do is throw it in the bin.

That said, dont just apply for anything. If it looks like an entry level position, ignore the experience/certs. If it looks more advanced, then the experience is probably a must.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Most employers will use a checklist of requirements when going through CV's. If you don't tick all the boxes, you go in the bin.

That being said, there may be no applicants who check all the boxes (in which they have to empty the bin back out again), or they may just fancy something that you've put on your CV.

But sending a CV in anyway is better odds than not sending one at all...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

An employer will go for the best fit candidate, he or she might not necessarily have the most technical knowledge or experience but does posses potential that the employer will recognize and thus might offer the job. Actually it's how I got my first job, I only had 2 months experience. So keep applying regardless of whether it's 1 year or two years experience... it's very hard to come across a posting that doesn't list at least 1 year experience as a requirement. That doesn't mean you're not a good fit.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

You have nothing to loose and sometimes it takes a pinch of luck to break into IT so go for it. Just make sure your CV is spot on and sells yourself well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. vp

vp Bit Poster

Yeh Im putting a bit of time into each application tailoring the cover letter for each specific job. I think my strategy will be, first apply to all the ones I meet the requirements for then if there is time left over apply for the others.

Certifications: A+, N+, BSc CS
    WIP: MCDST