Applying for jobs- getting no response

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by vgarg, Feb 9, 2009.

1. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hi

I have been applying to loads of jobs however I am not getting anything back from companies or agencies - not even an acknowledgement letters.

Is it down to lack of experience or is something wrong with my C.V. ??

Attached Files:

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would take that line out of your CV, it seems to be quite misleading.

I take in reality you have been fixing PCs for family and friends for a few years? Nothing wrong with that btw but that opening line suggests you have worked on a wide range of projects but this doesnt seem to be highlighted anywhere in the CV.

Do you have an server 2003\server 2000 experience?

What scale are we talking here? A small business server or a few PCs in a workgroup?

Just a few questions you might get :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

I noticed in your cv that you are working towards your A+ is is ok to put this down to say you are working towards, as oppose to having one ?as i am thinking bout putting this on mine.

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

One thing I can't tell from looking at your CV - and you haven't said on your post either - is what kind of jobs you're applying for.

You seem to have done all within your power to highlight the exposure you've had to IT systems - which is generally fine - but which bit of IT do you want to do? Do you want to do first line? Do you want to program? Do you want to design websites?

If I can't tell this from the focus on your CV, then it may be that prospective employers infer a lack of focus on your part, hence your CV going no further?

The general layout and so forth seems fine. The font type and size seems odd - did you put it to size 13 so it fitted plumb onto the two pages?

If you are applying for your first ever first line role, there may be (I know this sounds a little perverse compared to the advice we give) too much IT on there, and too little customer service. Helpdesk roles are seen as quite high-turnover given any rate, but I think when an employer takes someone on they would like to see more than 6 months return on your employment. With the variety of higher-level exposure you say you've had (servers, programming, web design) this may put people off considering you for a role.

There is also what Sparky has pointed out (I think) - that you have all this IT experience, but no commercial evidence of it - ie, you wouldn't be able to get a reference on it.

I (personally) think you might want to take out some of the chaf and stick to the wheat of the job you are aiming for. If you're going for first line / helpdesk support, then take out the references to web design and VB net and enhance your customer service experience. I also notice tucked away the fact that you are not just bilingual, but multi-lingual - in today's market, I'd have that in a much more prevalent position, as that's quite a priceless attribute in an employee.

The customer service 'experience' you've put doesn't really tell me about your service attitude.

Firstly:
    This sentence contradicts itself - mainly because it doesn't form an actual sentence, belying your 'strong skills'. It also meanders around a little. I'd write it more like:

"Possessing (-that seems to be the way you're working the tense in the CV-) strong communication skills; able to communicate technical issues effectively without the use of jargon."

Then
    This sentence just makes me go *jigger* and I'm not too sure why. But the 'necessary' communication doesn't make it sound like you co-operate effectively of your own free will. How about:

"Able to work well both in a team and on initiative, using clear and effective communication at all levels."

And finally,
    Again, I just don't like the way this sentence is phrased. I know what you're trying to say, but it doesn't tell me about your ethos - how can you empathise with every customer?

If you're applying for helpdesk posts, then you want to spend more time highlighting the strengths of your customer service manner and experience. This may get you more noticed? You haven't mentioned telephone manner, and working at Asda (I got to experience that too!) you get to build up a wealth of knowledge on customer service attitudes - scream about it from the "roof" of your CV. You've done really well on the technical aspects of the CV - with respect to describing your technical experience - but there's a lot more to getting your first IT job than IT. Unfortunately.

This is just my opinion, mind :)

If it is helpdesk you're aiming for, then you may (or may not) find this useful in phrasing customer service experience in a helpdesk environment:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=276200#post276200

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

WOW Thanks guys. I just knew there was something about my C.V. I am applying for 1st line support jobs. I will be beefing my customer service experience and removing programming/web designing/any other stuff. I will upload my new C.V. after 2 weeks as I am going holidays now. Thanks once again for your help.

I think might as well put it on to show what you are currently doing...

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sage advice on this thread - though one thing I would add is to remove your old CV as soon as possible - even if you don't upload the new one in its place for a couple of weeks. A good CV is, sadly, forgotten in a week. A bad CV can hang round your neck like a millstone for months - even years. I had some proof of how long a CV knocks around for earlier this week this when I got a call from two separate recruiters offering me the same DBA role when I haven't done any DBA work for five years... when I asked the second one why they thought I'd be interested it was because they had a CV which stated that my last role was as a DBA. they hadn't even bothered to check the date on the CV was 2004...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hey

Thanks guys for you feedback.

I have re-written my CV. I am still applying for jobs and still not getting any responses :x

Attached Files:

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It sucks, I know.

But in the current market, most 'general' positions - and not just in IT - are so swamped with applicants that the employers just can't be sending out individual responses. I can't work out if it's more or less depressing than getting hundreds of rejection letters.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

In my opinion your CV is very good. Maybe it has too many skills for job you are seeking but still I don't think it can harm to put them on. Give it a bit more time. Patience will pay off. Do you include cover letter?
    I read CV from my friend and there it was her nationality and next to it she wrote that she has permanent residence in the UK - is that necessary and can it help?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  10. Sparky

You say you have knowledge of 3rd line support but nothing seems to back this up on your CV? Also your knowledge section is just a selection of key words, update this.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  11. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hmmm well I thought that because I am British that would not be necessary...

Ok I have changed it to 1st line support. The reason I have chosen keywords is because it is easier for recruiters to search for on job sites. How do I update this?

Thanks

12. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Just to add re nationality on CV. After a bit of research, I found out that it is better not to put it on cv no matter what nationality one is. It is the same as age, sex, marital status - not required as it shouldn't matter.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  13. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

I have to be honest, I think your CV is bad.

Nice clear layout but the content sucks, especially the Summary and Key Skills which seem to be there just to fill space.

Also are your dates correct? During 2008 you held down 3 jobs whilst doing your HNC?

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  14. Sparky

I meant take out third line support. :biggrin

Your CV seems to be all over the place mate and this is why you are not getting any responses. I don’t mean to be harsh, I’m just being honest with you.

For example “3rd line support”, there is no evidence of this on your CV. In fact you say that you have looked after 4 PCs which barely touches on first line support.

Also you mention Oracle on your CV. What experience do you have with Oracle? The Oracle guys I know all work for major retails chains and work 24/7. Is this you or have you just started with Oracle? You have not expanded on this in your CV.

The word “databases”. Take this out, you might as well put “good with computers”, this kinda thing will get your CV binned almost immediately. The summary bit looks weird to me, not sure if anyone else will agree though.

Reading on you have also noted down that you have a degree. Sorry, just noticed that you will complete this is 2012??!!

You actually have many good things on your CV but you really need to rework your CV to make it stand out.

For example you have five years customer service experience which is fantastic for an entry level IT support position as most of time you will have to deal with users face to face or over the phone. You also have an HNC, working towards a degree and also have started working in IT.

Hope you take this advice as it was intended mate. :thumbleft

15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I think the main areas to look at in your CV are the Summary, Knowledge and Key Skills sections.

Ditch the summary, it doesn't add anything and in fact looks daft when your aplying directly to employers. What your seeking will (or should) be obvious from your covering letter.

I'd combine the Knowledge and Key Skills sections, and as others have said quantify your knowledge more, what have you done with SQL, Oracle etc. Always try and link it back to the sort of position your looking for, if your HTML and CSS skills will be useful to you working in support then tell me how and I might get interested.

The same can be said of the experience sections of your CV to be fair

what does this actually mean?

The clearer you make it the more likely a hiring manager is going to be to stop and look.

Oh and sparky is right, ditch the word databases, a) its redundant considering the mentions of SQL and Oracle and b) some of my uses could list 'databases' on their skills lists thanks to MS Access.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hi

I have reworded the CV has suggested.

The dates have been sorted out. I have changed summary to objective. I have put this in because the cv is uploaded to many job sites and is publicly available. Also changed knowledge to skills summary and key skills to other skills. And changed the font.

Attached Files:

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I still think your objective is a bit daft... reason being is because it seems like you're objective is short term... I would say something like "Seeking technical support position where my skills can be fully utilized to further my knowledge and experience in the the field of.... you can specify what you are interested in, etc...

Again for summary of skills... lose the words, use a sentence do describe your skills. I would also phrase the "Other Skills" as "Soft Skills", since it's not technical but more of communication, work ethic, etc.. That's just my preference.

On a positive note :) your CV is coming along...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  18. Sparky

Much better mate, just tweak the objective part as said and you are good to go.

19. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

I have changed it to:

Seeking technical support position where my customer relations skills can be utilized to smoothly handle customer enquiries and improve company image.

Also with technical skills should I write something like:

Operating Systems: Win XP, Vista, 7
    Software Applications: MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
    Networking: LAN/WAN, TCP/IP

Also I would like to thank Sparky, Bootneck1, Arroryn, Zebulebu, JonnyMX, IT2009, OnFire, Josiahb and TheProf for the feedback. Cheers.

20. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Sorry still work to be done im afraid

This CV doesnt scream hire me, or even say this is a good short term fix, where are the achievements, what can you offer my department, what systems do you have expertise in?

These are the statements you need to answer, why you are a valuable commodity, where you can bring value to a business.

I feel for short term/part time roles you should be looking at tailoring your CV for each role, a stock CV probably wont cut it, you may be better off turning up at each place and getting your face known.
    Also a covering letter would work well, with a more personal touch, any advantage is worth trying.

The problem with the market today is that plenty of good techs will be out of work, and employers know this, so they have the pick of the crop, so you need to make your CV have the wow factor, basically saying someone is 100% right for this role :)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal