Applying for IT jobs, no experience, previous jobs were office jobs: Relevant?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, May 17, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Will employers be particularly interested in these? Should I bother putting much more than a single line describing my duties?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you used computers you can put down that your competent in using PC and you could mention some of the applications you used.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, as an IT manager who also does sit on our interview panel, when we interview for entry level positions, we know that a candidate may or may not have previous experience in IT. With this in mind, we actually find out what soft skills a prospective candidate may have tht will benefit our dept/organisation, these skills include:

1. Participation in a team
    2. Ability to teach
    3. Service
    4. Leading a team
    5. Negotiation
    6. Unite a team amidst cultural differences
    7. Motivation
    8. Decision-making skills
    9. Problem-solving skills
    10. Etiquette

It depends on how you lay out your CV, imo. I don't put any descriptions under my work history, I put my experiences in my cover letter, a brief summary in the Current Role portion of my CV and list (in bullit point form) my key skills and responsibilities.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Thats interesting Wagnerk. I just had a 2nd interview, it went well but then did kind of get caught out with 1 technical question on networks, but then did okay with other randon techie questions they had. Would you rule someone out that maybe didnt answer a technically related question?
    Also I got told that I was the fourth person out of 5 to be interviewed, is there a sequential order on how candidates are called back, someone told me that I could be 4th choice?

Certifications: BSc Computer Science, A+
    WIP: MCDST
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends what was said mate. I once spoke to a guy who referred to IP addresses as numbers. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me personally, no. Technical skills can always be learnt and especially for an entry level position, I would not expect a candidate to be that technically aware anyway. But each interviewer is different. I'm following the example set by the IT Manager who gave me my break many moons ago :)

To be honest no. It's the luck of the draw on who gets called 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... Unless a candidate specific requests to be number X due to lack of time, etc. For example, I called in at one of the interviews I was going for and stated that I couldn't get time off and didn't want to call in sick, could I have the first interviewee postion. They were kind enough to commodate me.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security