Apologies for lying in my CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drivinginstructor, Aug 8, 2008.

1. drivinginstructor

drivinginstructor New Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments and sorry if I have angered anyone. I do realise that I am very inexperienced to even apply for any desktop support without having experience. To tell you the truth I applied for these position with my untweaked CV and did not get much response so I thought that I would better my chances by lying on my CV. Since then I have had calls from recruitment agencies who were very impressed with my CV. I didn't ask them to call me they found me on a IT job site. They have forwarded my CV to a few companies but have not been asked to come for an interview. I will take all your advise on board and withdraw my applications and CV. I so badly want to get my foot in the door but have totally gone about it the wrong way. Would appreciate any advice regarding getting an entry level IT position and what course to pursue to get my CV noticed. Are there many entry level positions in London that would help pay the mortgage? By the way if anyone with more experience than me want to use the material that got me these phone calls in the first place then here it is.

• Assists staff with the installation, configuration, and ongoing usability of desktop computers, peripheral equipment, hardware and software within established standards and guidelines.
    • Provide technical support for desktop computer applications such as Microsoft Office 2003/2007, Outlook, Adobe Creative Suite 3, Adobe Acrobat and related software.
    • Troubleshoot application software and operating systems such as Windows 2000, XP and Vista to diagnose and resolve unique, non-recurring problems.
    • Work with vendor support contacts to resolve technical problems with desktop computing equipment, PDA’s, laptops and software.
    • Work with Helpdesk and Network Operations staff as appropriate to determine and resolve problems received from users related to TCP/IP, DNS, LANs and WANs.
    • Train staff on use of hardware and software.
    • Recommends and / or performs upgrades on systems to ensure longevity.
    • Works with procurement staff to purchase hardware and software.

Sorry once again and hopefully I can land that desktop support role in the near future through merit and industry experience.

Thanks guys!! :(

Certifications: CIW Web Master Designer
  2. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Just remember that we all once had crappy CVs until we decided to get ourselves and education an work hard to get what we want. You should do the same.

Good luck.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  3. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

As long as you realize it was a mistake and prevented it from getting any worse, it's all that matters. Do you have a CV available that you can post so that we can critique it and maybe offer you some help?

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

everyone "polishes" their CV but blatent lying shows up really easily it IT.

If you acquired any interviews i'd still go along just for the experience

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No one has come right out and said it, so I will...apology accepted. A lesser person would have just "disappeared" after the bit of "flaming" you got in the other thread. Glad you have the courage to apologize, stick it out here at CF and progress forward.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Good move !

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. It says a lot that you're willing to stick around and listen rather than bail out and do what you were gonna do. Props.

I hope that you become an active forum member... and even better, a man of integrity who succeeds in IT. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

What he said. Good job for admitting your mistakes!

9. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

And if we talk about lies - how do you think about not showing up all certs on CV when applying for certain positions...? I'm talking about showing only 1 or two, not whole pack..? It's not a lie in strict sense, because I dont lie about those I'm showing, I have them.. It's just not showing everything...

Certifications: A+ MOS MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP:EST MCSA MCS
    WIP: MCITP Server 2008
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not showing everything you DO have is altogether different from showing things you absolutely DON'T have. As long as you are truthful with the "I can do this..." part, you don't necessarily need to say, "...and more".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!