APIPA

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Although i can do this at home, i am in the middle of a download and would rather not interrupt it so here goes;

Chapter 12 Supporting TCP/IP

It wants you to either unplug your LAN connection or disable the DHCP server. I tried unplugging the LAN connection in work today, but when i tried to ipconfig/release it told me it wouldn't do anything while the media isn't connected.

My question is, what will Windows tell you if you /release then renew with no DHCP availible?
    I guess it will just say something along the lines of we have issued you a APIPA and will try every five minutes, but would like to know what it really does say!

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you release and renew with no DHCP you just get an APIPA address again. Plus the comment about limited connectivity.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

As far as I'm aware, WIndows isn't intelligent enough to tell you there isn't a DHCP server available to service your request. You'll get the little 'Problems with your network connection' pop-up hanging over the icon representing your NIC in the system tray - with the natty little yellow triangle & black exclamation mark, but I don't think it ever tells you that it has assigned you an APIPA address.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It tells you - but in typical windows fashion it uses an obscure phrase. It tells you you have 'Limited connectivity'.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

si to know that you have an APIPA address it must be in range 169.254.0.1-169.254.255.254 anything in there is an APIPA address... Windows *knows* that if it must pick up an IP automatically (instead of you manually putting it in in the TCP/IP configuration) and no DHCP server is available AND no alternative IP configuration is available then APIPA kicks in...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for all your input, i just needed it confirmed.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT