APIPA outside the LAN

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Boycie, May 6, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just had a call from someone who's computer is looked after by myself. Blimey, is that bad grammer or what!
    Anyhow, they have a USB ADSL modem which plays up from time to time (i have advised Connecting via a network card is prefered and at last they have agreed for me to replace it with a Netgear one!). This call was the usual *cant get on the Net*. Then they could then they couldn't.... At the time they called, according to the caller Network connections was displaying an APIPA address :blink .
    Now i know (i am studying hard for N+ :tune) you can't get outside your LAN when issued with an APIPA address so does anyone think the only possible explanation is the address is being cached in some way because of the *dropping in and out* of communication?
    As always your thoughts are appreciated :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

we talking about an IP thats issued by the ISP provider (DHCP server i assume?) ? If the connection is getting a APIPA address (169) then that means the modem is failing to connect or synchronize with the ISP...

EDIT: could be a problem with the line.. or the USB (dont they also take a while to get their act together when first switched on?)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

yes, exactly what i thought Zim.... the modem connects directly to the ISP unlike something providing NAT which would display a Private IP. I think XP must be caching the APIPA and taking a little while to display the Public IP :biggrin

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

is the modem synchronizing? if its not them problem with the line or modem.. i really think this is a hardware problem and i got a feeling its the USB! :twisted:

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

As Delboy used to say to Rodney... Zimbo, you know it makes sense.... :thumbleft

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

problem solved? :blink

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/renew

Any joy? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i think if you have an APIPA address the computer will try every 5 minutes to contact a DHCP server.
    so while it doesn't "cache" it, it may take a few minutes before it automatically tries again. unless you do it manually, of course, like Sparky said.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the input guys. This has been an ongoing problem and i think i have narrowed it down to the USB ADSL modem so am going to swop it with a Nice Netgear router- via a NIC of course :)
    I'll let you know the outcome....

Edit:
    As for Ipconfig/renew etc... i have never been there when it drops out (typical) and it only happens for a minute or two by all account...

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Boyce,

Questions:
    1) Is the "USB ADSL modem" actually a "USB ADSL router?" For example, my Efficient Networks Speedstream 5100 "DSL modem" actually is a NAT device, with DHCP capabilities. So what you might want to do is check if the "DHCP server" capability is enabled for configuration.
    2) Is the computer set to (*) Obtain IP address automatically? If so, then after a certain time period of not hearing back from a DHCP server, will the Windows computer resort to assigning itself an APIPA address. So by enabling a DHCP server ANYWHERE in the same broadcast domain as the computer should help to configure the computer's IP settings. The DHCP server doesn't even have to be the ADSL modem/router, for example a Windows NT Server 4.0 with a DHCP scope setup. Maybe by enabling the "DHCP server" feature for question 1 may solve your problem.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

rh,

no, it is a cheap and nasty free *thing* with an awful interface that has no NAT or DHCP facilities at all. It is the type of device that is useful to carry in your toolbox and that is about it. Being a USB only device it's own software configures literally everything and all you get to enter is the dsl account name and password. I am fairly confident it is that causing the problem as i left my trusted Netgear *testing* router there for a while and it never happened....

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

It does kinda sound like the modem, Boycey, but did you also check the obvious like USB cable, plug into different port, etc ? Also, was there any pattern to the drops at all ? Even like when someone was using a phone or watching Sky ? Even using a microwave or powerful outside light (laugh, I know, but once we pinpointed dropouts to a massive halogen spotlight outside a house that was causing enough interference when it switched on to drop the ADSL briefly - go figure ...)

Just trying to be thorough (and hopefully helpful) :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Boyce,

Just some confirming questions, but do I understand that the "USB ADSL modem" can be replaced with another networking device such as your "Netgear router?" Then sounds like you need to recommend the client purchase a DSL router with DHCP capabilities. As you may or may not have come across in your Network+ studies, an APIPA address is non-routable. That's a required capability if you're going to be able to connect, or networkingly speaking, routed to the ISP and eventually to the Internet.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for all the input guys :thumbleft I will keep you posted.

Gav- Yeah, tried the usual; swopping ports, new filter, running with no other phone/equipment on line, interference etc.... looks like the modem is stuffed.

RH- Yes the N+ does cover IP addressing and the fact that a local computer with an APIPA will stay local!

Boyce

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

one other thing you could do is ask the ISP to release the customers IP address! - but has to be done from the telephone number the router is connected to unless its different policy in the uk...

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Zim,

They are on a pool, but i think the modem is playing up- will keep you posted :thumbleft

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

check the line too so we can make sure...

18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

when i put my tester netgear router in all the line stats looked OK (with and without) the telephone plugged in. It also never failed while they were using my tester which is why i have ordered them one. Should be here Monday, Tuesday, so i'll let you know :thumbelft

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so you ruled out the line? looks like you know alot about the netgear so if you see that the modem responds like it should but still gets APIPA then we can start looking at windows... :rolleyes:

20. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Just to keep you guy's informed, i installed the Netgear router Tuesday night and so far no problems reported. The user also reports that browsing the net seems quicker too...