Anyway, as I was saying about Agencies....

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drum_dude, Feb 21, 2005.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

one called me this morning, they have secured me an interview on a 3 month Desktop Support contract. Interview is tomoz at 11am...oh err thats 2 interviews this week...eek!!!

I knew this would happen after I publically moaned about agencies earlier this week!! My faith has been restored! ha ha

Wish me luck etc...

Cheers

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, my experience with agencies...many of them anyway...have been pretty positive. Only one burned me really badly and the others have been more or less workable. I've been called out of a clear blue sky more times than I can count by an agency saying they saw my resume on the web and would I be available for, etc...

The longest continual gig I got out of an agency was...endless...but it was only part time. On the other hand, it was at HP and it was a sweet little gig supporting a usability lab (actually two) for their usability team. Basically, I supported all of the hardware and applications for hardware and web usability testing. I was either really busy or really bored. With my downtime, I'd do research on equipment and software and recommend purchases. It was very interesting but I couldn't live on the pay. After 6 months, I moved on to my current job...but it was a nice stop gap

Before that, I the same agency found me a 3 month gig as desktop support for a small city IT department. Basically, I was a jack-of-all-trades for different city offices. Whatever they broke, I had to fix. I did everything from setting up and troubleshooting printers to RAM upgrades, to setting up wireless, to configuring and installing new PCs, to...well, you name it.

It's a good way to start building your experience and your CV. Of course, not all agencies are created equal and some are real dogs. You just have to watch out. Thing is, if you do a good job on one assignment, the agency will tend to favor you for future work. It helps to try to develop a relationship with your recruiters so they like you, trust you, and remember you when a really choice assignment becomes available.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Good luck mate!!!:)

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  4. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Fantastic news - good luck n let us know how it goes! :p

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  5. drum_dude

Cheers peeps...

I've had the spec sent to me and there maybe a Technical Test too! They advertised initially for an MCSE but as Trip said on an earlier post, this maybe their ideal candidate. At least it looks like the firm knows the meaning of Microsoft Certs...

Well whatever happens, interview practice is at least guaranteed! lol

Cheers

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

all the best Sacha :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

LOL Didn't the very same happen to me last week after moaning about them - perhaps thats a wise tip for anyone looking for more IT work :wink:

Fingers crossed Sacha - all the CF best to you :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

hmmmmm, I know what to do if I go looking for a new job then :) Good Luck Sacha

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  9. drum_dude

Hi all,

Ok here is the result,

* All tech questions were on Windows NT? (even though they use 2000/XP)
    * The guy who interviewed me was an MCSE in NT4 which he completed in 6 months, most likely braindumped cos not a single tech question came out of his mouth.
    * The interview was conducted in a walk-way with people standing around talking on mobiles right next to you?! Absolute disgrace!
    * The interviewer wasn't even the manager - the manger left it to an analyst to conduct the interview!
    * The interviewer seemed to have problems looking at me i.e. eye to eye contact and kept his head down...He was wearing sunglasses too (he took them off halfway through and never put them back on).

There was also another important issue that made me feel uncomfortable but I will not go into it as it may be interpreted the wrong way! Enuff said I think...

If I'm offered the role I will turn it down, but to be honest I don't think it'll get that far!

Good points = good interview practice I suppose, certainly wasn't expecting what happened! lol!

Cheers

Sacha

10. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Come on - you HAVE to tell us now - u can't leave us hangin like that!!

Sorry to hear that it wasn't quite the experience you were hoping for but glad that you managed to see good in the experience.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Maybe you could PM Gav, Si or one of the mods and we can discuss it amongst ourselves. Of course, Rosy would be locked out. :P

Sorry to hear it was such a disaster Sacha. I agree...probably not a place where you want to work. They handled the interview very badly.

I recall interviewing at a wireless outfit. I was interviewed by the CEO...a fairly young guy. New start up company. We interviewed in the conference room and the first thing I noticed when I walked in was the tub filled with water (it was Monday morning) and beer bottles (I can only assume the water had been ice on Friday afternoon). I felt pretty uncomfortable. I'm no prude and I'm not above having a beer or two, but when they were done with their little party, they should have cleaned up...especially if they were expecting a potential employee for an interview.

BTW, I got the job. It was more like contract work...just whenever they needed someone to set up a home or small business network. I was glad to finally stop working for them. They were pretty random not only in their job assignments but in how they treated me and what sorts of jobs I was expected to take on.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. drum_dude

Sorry all...but I gotta confine this one to the history books! lol

Perhaps when I get to know some of you better I will confess all. It's just way to early in my certforums life to possibly offend some peeps!

Thanks for all your well wishes and support!

Cheers

Sacha

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry it didn't work out Sacha, but my view is simply that this one wasn't meant to be for you. Your chance is yet to come.

Now stop showing off your (rather nice) new Av and get us told the dirty - what happened in there ??? [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity