anyone work 1st line for ISP - opinions please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by thetokyoproject, Mar 27, 2007.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

currently doing a 2nd line desktop support role but currently don;t and prob won;t have an opportunity to work on the server side.

this is the main reason i'm looking for another position.

there's a possibility that i'll be offered an interview for the following job:

Our client is the premier Internet Service Provider (ISP) for businesses in the UK and they are looking for a 1st Line Support Engineer to join their team.

As the 1st Line Support Engineer, you will take the lead in technical fault resolution, follow up faults with their external suppliers, champion fault resolution for the customers within our clients business and ensure the tickets are closed and managed.

Technically you will have an understanding in some or all of the following;

- TCP/IP
    - DSL
    - Firewalls
    - Email Protocols
    - DNS

You will also need a good understanding of UNIX and/or Windows.

The right candidate will have excellent communication skills, and the confidence and ability to work well under pressure. You will need to have 1st class organisation skills and be willing to learn new technologies. If you enjoy working in an exciting and dynamic environment than apply now!!

can someone who has worked in a similar role or is currently in this kind of role in an ISP offer their opinions on what kind of technical opportunities this could lead to within the company if i were to progress beyond the service desk?

also, would it be a bad move to take a step back from 2nd line desktop role into a helpdesk position?

i know it depends on the company, but the recruitment consultant was a bit vague (as they usually are) and i am sure to ask plenty of questions if i do indeed get as far as the interview.

many thanks.

Certifications: 271
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Judging from your post and current desktop 2nd line support experience if you land an interview then let them know your keen interest in progressing to 3rd line support in xyz years time.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

thanks, i'll be sure to do that if i get any luck.

oh is there a likelihood that there will be a separate helpdesk or is 1st line literally the helpdesk position?

Certifications: 271
  4. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Moving from a desktop position to server support can be difficult and you have to be prepared to plug away until you get your break. Just make it clear that you're looking at this as an oppertunity to get your foot in the door and move up the ladder. A chance to understand the business from the ground up.