Anyone with experience of SIP?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by millsie, Jun 10, 2012.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Work have just offered a free 19 hour course learning SIP, we've just started providing a SIP service to some of our customers and it looks like its going to take off big time!

Just wondering if anyone else works with this protocol and how useful it might be for me to learn more about going forward. It seems to me from what I can understand going to be the main protocol used for voice over IP in the future!

Reason why im interested is that I think voip might be very lucrative for me after I have achieved my CCNP to enter into and branch off to voip, they reckon that 1 billion users will be using a SIP service sometime in the future :o)

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

VOiP yes, SIP no - well not yet anyway. We'll be moving over to using SIP lines sometime after this Oct as we're changing our ISP and connection speeds at work (from 40mb bi-directional to 100mb bi-directional).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

SIP – make sure you have dedicated line for it as any bandwidth issues will be a world of pain. Also check that your Firewall won’t drop SIP packets or cause issues – security services on high end Firewalls can be problematic.

Nothing stopping you having ISDN as a backup as well…..

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs