Anyone want to come have a laugh AND provide helpful advice?

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by BosonMichael, Jan 15, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...then check this forum post. AlbertV on CertCities (who has already rubbed me the wrong way with his statements regarding using the Cisco IOS on Dynamips) suggests that another forum member, who is currently doing desktop support in a workgroup environment, get a bunch of advanced certifications and attempt to go straight to server administration, even though he's never supported PCs in a domain environment (and never touched a server at all). AlbertV replies with this:

Oh my goodness. :D

That's about all I need to know about his experience level... but he's providing horrible advice to others who may not know any better. Anyone want to come set him straight? CertCities isn't even as close to as active as this one... so it's basically a "he said, she said" sort of situation.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Wot a t*t,

thats the kind of company you dont want to work for, can you imagine the competence of the IT dept there. It would be a absolute nightmare (you'd need a bailing out bucket every day)!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Had to answer, what's the difference between a workgroup and domain? What kind of question is that :rolleyes:

He'll get far in the IT world... NOT

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Some people may say I'm not qualified or experienced enough to answer this, but I see why advanced certification without experience can be harmful to a career than helpful.

Just because someone has a bunch of qualification or certifications does not mean they can do the job they relate to especially if they have no real world experience in that area.

Anyone can learn to drive but not everyone could be a taxi driver and no legit taxi firm is going to make soneone a driver without doing some sort of test(s) first. Just like someone with no experience who has CCNA isn't going to be let loose of the network without experience.

AlbertIV seems like a bit of a tool :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

lol

What a pleb! :biggrin

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. antr

antr Bit Poster

BURN HIM!!!

Certifications: n/a :(
    WIP: MCDST, A+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not heard that expression for a long time :lol:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Why?

I've only just scanned the thread, but from what I read he was suggesting that by attempting to better himself by learning the higher up, or more indepth technology he may open up more doors for himself than if he simply keeps his skills at the level he is at now.

I'm not agreeing with a lot of his comments, but it never hurts to have an understanding of the 'next level'.

JMO. 8)

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry to say this Michael, but why are you importing these issues from other forums when as you've acknowledged, there's plenty of activity here at CF to address? They say "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". Perhaps the same should be said for CertCities.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. BosonMichael

Thanks for responding on the thread, Ken - rep given. :) Now it's not just "me vs. him" in there. With just two folks debating, there's a real chance that someone might actually buy the crap he's spouting! :ohmy I can only hope that my argument stands on the basis of logic and, most importantly, truth.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. BosonMichael

Huh? Since when have I acknowledged there's plenty of activity here to address such that no new threads should be started? :blink

CertCities isn't very active. If anything, I'm trying to export a *little* of our userbase's experience onto that poorly trafficked forum. It doesn't take away from what we've got here. The more knowledge, the better, wouldn't you agree? If not... I'll just stick to responding to threads and not creating them. :rolleyes:

12. BosonMichael

That's not the point... he was suggesting that the user "jump a level" by going from desktop support in a workgroup environment straight to applying for server admin jobs. I daresay that if that user were to do so, he'd encounter overwhelming competition from people who HAVE supported desktop PCs in a domain environment.

Further, he was suggesting that he begin to pursue the MCSA without any server or domain experience. With absolutely no foundation to build upon, that's quite a monumental task.

The point is this: he doesn't see how supporting a domain environment differs from supporting a workgroup environment, and if I can enlist the help of other knowledgeable people to help illustrate that point, I'll certainly do so.

13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

OHMYGOD! :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It seems to me that with the help of a couple of others and mainly your persistance Michael, in proving your valid point has finally ground him down.

Pwned 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. BosonMichael

Yeah, it looks like he's changing his stance a bit... I'm trying to word my replies so that he can "save face" and say that we were just "differing in our terminology".

I really wasn't trying to pwn him... I just didn't want bad advice to hurt someone's IT career.

That said... he sorta put himself in the position to BE pwned. 8) Not by me... but by the truth.

16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...and now queue The X Files theme
    [​IMG]

17. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I just read over that thread again just to make sure I didn’t dream that someone said there is no difference between supporting a domain and workgroup topology. <sigh>

How much desktop support experience is generated from a workgroup anyway? Not much!

Looks like the chap is going for the MCDST so that’s good news. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. BosonMichael

Not much... I guess going around from PC to PC ensuring that every user account matches on every computer... IF they're even sharing files. Otherwise... they're just a bunch of standalone PCs connected together.

In truth, even workgroup desktop support looks like magic to non-IT folks. I do standby tech support for my eye doctor, and she loves it when I just "make everything work". But it's not difficult. It's quite a bit different setting up user accounts in AD, placing them in the right groups, ensuring access to resources, configuring an e-mail client to connect to a corporate mail server, ensuring patch/software/AV management is occurring... stuff you just don't deal with on standalone or workgroup PCs.

Yeah, luckily, he had made his decision even before I came along based on prior forum posts. I'm just concerned for the thousand other folks who read and never say a word, ya know?