Anyone using DHCP Collision Detection for redundancy

Discussion in 'Networks' started by supernova, Jan 22, 2010.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I wanted to add a redundant DC to a domain with a secondary DNS, DHCP and use DFS (or DFR-R).

The site has a VPN that connects to a central network which provides servers for bespoke services.

Therefore, our site has been given a subnet which is reasonable for the long term , however, would get a bit tight if i used DHCP 50/50. Unfortunately requesting a larger subnet would be a difficult task

I hear that you can use DHCP Collision Detection for redundancy that is when a DCHP server issues a IP it checks that another machine hasn't already been given it by another DHCP server, however, as you can guess it increases network traffic.

I wonder if anyone has used this approach ?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Big Bad JV

Big Bad JV Bit Poster

Hi,
    I have just installed and tested a program called DHCP-Redundancy (Link) and so far it works a treat, best of all it's free, but you can donate if you like it.

Just follow the easy instructions in the installation guide and you can have it up and running in about 30mins.

JV

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Voice
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

never used it myself.

thanks for sharing the link!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Big Bad JV

Big Bad JV Bit Poster

It's the first time I have used it, but testing went well so it's now providing a backup service to the main DHCP server, it's a very simple solution to an old problem. The service can be configured to send alert emails when the primary DHCP server fails and recovers.

I think it's my new favoutite bit of software.

JV

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Voice
  5. supernova

Interesting unfortunately this place has a policy of not using freeware or opensource.
    Should be easy to script using internal utility's

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Love it. You can imagine the compliance meeting where this was decided:

Tech Department: "We really need to implement an IDS/Network Mapping tool/Patch Management utility/etc. etc. I've found this tool online and it costs £2000."
    Finance Department: "That's over your budget for the year. Find something else"
    Tech Department: "OK - I found something that does the same thing - it's £500 cheaper"
    Finance Department: "Still over-budget. Find something cheaper"
    Tech Department: "OK, there's nothing cheaper that does what we want, but there is an open-source utility that will do it"
    Finance Department: "Excellent - now take it to compliance"
    Compliance Department: "It's free - it must be rubbish. Permissions denied. Find something more expensive..."

Honestly, places with management chains that include a compliance department are pretty much the worst places to work in. They know f***-all about technology, hide behind paperwork and policies and seem to spend about 97% of their lives in 'meetings'. I remember once consulting for a stockbroking firm based in the City. They had a big problem with people using IM at work and wanted to implement something that would monitor what their users were saying over IM chat without blocking it (insider trading, sox compliance etc). I showed them how to do it for nothing with Snort and a mirror port, proved that it worked and did exactly what they wanted... then they wwent ahead and paid ten grand for some deep packet inspection software which did exactly the same thing.

Ho hum.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. supernova

Well , There no point going on about it if you cant change things, at the end of the day we all probably disagree with our employees at sometime (understatement). We just have to get the job done within our means.