Anyone using a Microsoft Surface?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have one for work and do like it. Light, fast and decent battery life is all good.

One drawback is that’s is pain in the neck to use at home like a traditional laptop – cant rest the thing on your knees when sitting down without it sliding off or flipping backwards towards the floor. This results in many cups of tea being spilt trying to save the Surface before it hits the ground!

I have developed a system now (few cushions etc.) so I can actually type using the attached keyboard so hopefully I can post here now. Been lurking for too long! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    JK2447 likes this.
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

we've got plenty of them at work which I support, I'm not a big fan... the Surface 3 has recently arrived on my desk to setup but like you said without it being as nice to hold on the lap as a laptop, this gives it a slight disadvantage for me

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I bought myself a surface pro 3 in Chicago at MS Ignite (Fair bit cheaper in the US compared to here)

Love it! wouldn't be without it now. i use it as my main system

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

They're abit pricey.. Im guessing they can do much more than a standard windows tablet?

5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

My cushion solution is working for now :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    JK2447 likes this.
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

ha ha I like it mate, practical solutions for a practical world. Patent the cushion configuration and Microsoft might buy you out ha ha

They do look great, I am tempted I must admit but as said, my toy budget seems to decrease as the kids ages increase, strange that isnt it... :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've used a Pro3 for the last six months or so, and it's replaced my home setup. Odd, I've been able to work with it on my lap without a problem :D they are great devices. Shame about the fan cranking in when the lack of a GPU comes into play. I've heard that's a bug, and there's a patch... but it's not a deal breaker. Love it. Would never go back to a normal laptop, now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. MattIT

MattIT Bit Poster

I have had a pro 3 for about 2 months and to be honest its pretty much taken over as my 'main rig' for anything apart from Gaming. Love it.

Certifications: CompTia A+, CompTia Network+, MCP
    WIP: 70-688 (MCSA: Windows 8.1)
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am looking to purchase the Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10... but I've used the 3 and I find it to be quite good. I actually have a Macbook Air and a generation 2 Ipad mini which I'll most likely be selling to get the Surface Pro 4.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA