Anyone use Joomla?

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Pete01, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I need a website for my new Ltd company that I'm contracting through and I'm looking at Joomla - Free open source GNU CMS program.

It looks pretty cool, has anyone else used it? I might have a fiddle this weekend and report back.

Looks very nice for an online CV+professional blog etc.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I looking at it a long while ago but it didnt shake my world but it seems to have vastly improved and the support seems better to. From what I remember the install was a piece of cake and the security seems good.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Hello,

I used it when it was Mambo. Personally i found it a bit too restrictive in terms of content. It's not too bad if you're happy with templates and things like that, it's quite easy to work with but i like the freedom of writing your own site completely - you have much more control.

Try finding some sites that already use it, then email them to ask their opinions, i've done that in the past and it helped - not everyone will share their opinons but you will get some feedback.

Hope that helps.

:D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  4. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

I'll second that, Joomla is way too restrictive and is not very flexible, I would recommend xoops, secure, VERY flexible, millions of modules, and very good support.

Have a look: www.xoops.org

5. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

when you say restrictive - do you mean it's difficult to customise - can;t you manually change the code?

Certifications: 271
  6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I'm venturing through joomla step by step.

I don't see it as very SEO friendly - I'm not an SEO myself - but I like my keywords in the right places *nudge nudge wink wink* -

Joomla is a nice CRM - but I see why the internet marketers (myself included) aren't embracing it

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Yes it is.... I have used for a couple of months then ditched it for xoops.... Joomla is cool of you have endless hours to waste... if you are busy it is not for you.