Anyone Studying/Studied 70-290?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by mufftak, Jul 23, 2004.

1. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Just wondering if anyone else was studying 70-290 & could recommend any study guides, books or links?

I have read Mike Meyers' MCSE/MCSA Windows Server 2003: Environment (Exam 70-290) (Mike Meyer's Certification Passport S.)

I have also read the cramsession guide.

Any other recommendations? :biggrin

Cheers

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hey Mufftak

I'm not studying teh 70-290 yet, I've gone for the 70-294 first. the book I've got for 70-290 is the MS press one, by Dan Holmes and Orin Thomas. I've only flicked through it to get a feel for it, and it seems ok. Other than that, I can't really help

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Thanks Andy :D

Anyone else studying 70-290? :cry:

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  4. chrisgray163

chrisgray163 New Member

I passed it the other day with 895, although I thought it was quite hard. I kind of half guessed at a few IIS and Group policy type questions which were a bit long winded.

The book I used was mspress although you will need to do some further reading up on some topics as suggested in the book.

Certifications: CCNA, SCJP, MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291 MCSA
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Orin Thomas is the admin at certtutor.net if you want to take a look at this work or ask him a question.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

hi!

I'm also studying for the same exam...
    I'm using the Sybex Study Guide and have found it quite simple and easy to understand. You can also refer to the MS Press - 70 290 Training Kit.
    Heres wishing you the best 8)

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  7. buttolivia

buttolivia New Member

Hi mufftak,
    I passed all my MCSE 2003 exams using M$ Training Kit and Syngress books. Of course, you need as much hand-on practice as possible. The Passport series I think may not have enough info. you need. Good luck for your exam.

8. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Thanks for your comment's & advice.

Just out of interest I picked up the Microsoft Official Curriculum Course Books off Ebay for 2274B & 2275B, has anyone studied using these or been on the actual course?:rolleyes:

Cheers

9. shalls

shalls Bit Poster

Hi Mufftak,

I have been on the courses for both and have the same books which you purchased off eBay.

I took the 70-290 in August and failed miserably. Don't let this worry you though as I am sure my failure was due to insufficient revision and hands on experience (long story !!!).

I'm also after advice from the guys here on certforums. I'd like to know which exam books they deem to be the best as I believe that I may need additional materials to pass and not just the books given to me on the course.

Best Wishes

Steve

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (Gee Wow !)
    WIP: MCSE 2003 (no hope me thinks !)
  10. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

I am currently studying for the 70-290 exam, and had my first attempt before xmas but failed dismally!! (nerves on the day!)
    I have revised from MS Press, Syngress and Exam Cram, all of which are of very different styles, but I found Syngress to be the best just because it had plenty of examples and screen shots.

My company have also sent me on the training courses for the MCSA which included the MOC books. Personally I think the MOC books are a waste of time, they don't cover half of what is in the exam and just give you a very basic overview of the subject. The MS Press book covers everything in the MOC book and also most of the additional reading.

I have also been revising using the trancender exams which are excellent, and are very alike the actual MS exam.

I hope this info helps, the most important thing is to practice exam questions!! over and over!! Good luck!

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA Windows Server 2003
  11. Marcusm

Marcusm New Member

Hi, I just did the exam too, and failed, but I found some of the exam questions outside the expected curriculum as I have spent a log time thouroughly digesting the MS book, but with questions popping up that I had no inkling about it was a bit difficult even getting a pass !!!!! and what with MS being so secretive about the questions, it's difficult to say anything about these ex-curricular items at all.

Anyone else had that problem ??????

Certifications: MCP - Windows2000
    WIP: MCSA
  12. world_champ59

world_champ59 New Member

I am studying for the 70-290 with computeach at the moment. I'm using the MS press book by Dan Holmes and Orin Thomas. I must say it has been fairly good so far ( on chapter 11 of 18 ).

My biggest problem is that I need to pass a mock exam given by Computeach in order to be entered for the MS exam. This exam is based on Transcender, so if anyone can provide any assistance with this it would be appreciated.

Luke

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Luke. You generally praise the MS Press book that you are using. Do you feel that it adequately covers the material relative to the mock testing software you are using? If so, then where do you feel the difficulty resides? Also, are you having trouble with the entire content or just in certain areas? For instance, you may feel well versed in how to promote a member server to a domain controller but feel out of your depth when it comes to backing up data (that's just an example). If you could give us some idea of where you need assistance, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Not quite sure what your meaning here - the exams Computeach offer are extremely similar to Transcenders, which are in turn extremely realistic in terms of the real deal. Basically, as long as you really know your stuff, and are scoring reasonaby highly in the mck tests, then I'd say you would be doing well.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. world_champ59

world_champ59 New Member

Hi tripwire 45 & jakamoko,

I wasn’t very clear on my last post regarding the difficulties I had with the computeach exam!

The problem started when I had my first two mock exams marked incorrectly for the 70-270. This led me to be completely confused as to which the correct answers were and which weren’t.

When I visited coputeach, I found that this had been the case for a lot of people.

Although I agree that the transcender content is very similar to the actual exam I don't want to risk being confused by Computeach again.

In general I am only having difficulties with certain areas and I have found the MS press book to be very good.

Thanks for replying!

Luke

16. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Hi,
    I am just studying for 290 now, I have the sygress book (Which is very detailed and easy to understand) and the MS one as referance. About the best thing I have found so far is to setup a Active Dir tree for a fictional company with all your family as users, then judge what each user should be allowed to do / GPO's applied (auntie is blind so needs accessablity options / brother is a programmer so needs such and such permissions.....Etc) Also setup roaming profiles and home dirs with rights to the folders, different levels of IT support access, security etc. So far this has taken me about 10 hours, inculding looking up the bits i don't know etc. Where I am evaluating permissions for members of my family / friends I found I really had to explore the options offered by different permissions / GPO's. I still only have 2 networked PC's and the eval. copy of server 2003 which came with the microsoft book.
    Anyone else have any tricks they use for learning active dir?
    James.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think a good tip (and one that's no doubt been offered before) is to make sure you fully understand the material you are learning. Don't just learn how to answer the questions. Use them to show you which area's you are weak on, then really study that particular area.

In an exam situation if you come across a question you haven't seen before, if you understand the material and have experience to draw on there is a good chance you can logically work out what should be the correct answer.

Good suggestion by Jamin also. Makes it much easier to get your head round some of the concepts and put them into context if you can set up your own working model and experiment on it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. choppertastic

choppertastic Bit Poster

I sat this exam about 3 weeks ago and found it very very hard. It was my first fail out of 14 exams (spoilt a nice record)

I used the MS Press book By Dan Holme and Orin Thomas. I found that this book did not prepare you enough for this exam as I was asked questions which this book never covered.

My advice is do not get over confident with this exam.

Certifications: MCSE2k3, MCITP Enterprise Admin, CNE 5,6, VCP3 & 4, CCNA
  19. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I see its a while since anyone added anthing to here, but just in case anyone does look here in the next few days, I thought I'd mention that I'm taking a re-sit of 70-290 on Thursday (25th Aug).

It will be my second attempt after failing it in July. It had 44 questions then (40 text, 4 sims) which seems to be the standard format from what others are reporting.

So if anyone else has taken 290 recently and has any advice, please let me know!

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  20. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

Hi I took the 290 about a month ago (for the 5th time) and failed it. But the format was the same 44 questions and 4 sims. I've noticed actually that they seem to allocate more time for this now, i'm guessing because of the sims, I had 3hours 15 mins last time!!.
    Best of luck for the 25th!! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA Windows Server 2003