Anyone starting out in IT need advice?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by zillmere, May 2, 2008.

1. zillmere

zillmere Bit Poster

MODS, please move to appropriate forum

There are a lot of forums around with loads of advice about developing your career or starting out in IT. I was thinking that I would like to make myself available to help out people that are confused or are thinking about what exam to do.

Before I started in IT in Brisbane about 11 years ago, I worked for the Telstra installing cable TV. That was a contract that ended and I was out of work. I was 24 and I had to decide what to do with myself. I enrolled in an IT course even though I had no computer knowledge and I remember that on the first day, it took me 10 minutes to log on because it was a UNIX station and the password was not displayed as I typed it. I had no idea what was going on.

Anyway, I got through it and I have been in IT ever since. I am now doing ok and I am working as a consultant.

The point of all of this crapping on is that I know what it is like starting out and I have a lot of experience that I would be happy to share.

I have gigs and gigs of study material for MS and Cisco and I like to help out where I can.

This is a legit offer but I realise that some of you may read this and think “Tool”. Anyway, up to you guys.

I am in Dublin but I am happy to help anyone that wants it.

Andy

Certifications: MCSE x3 MCTS MCITPRO
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you realise that the mods arent your b*tches right? You can take a look at the forums list and decide where is best to put it yourself.

That said, the best way you can help people around here is simply by contributing. If people need advice on a subject, they will ask for it, then you can post into the threads with your advice.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Are you offering PDF's of study materials? or advice? I'm a little confused

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
  4. zillmere

zillmere Bit Poster

Fergal, of course I realise that. Thanks for the useful contribution.

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Here I am you lucky people. You can now take advantage of my vast pool of knowledge. I'm such a good guy I'm here to tell you all about it. Just come to me and ask.

Oh, hey Trip, Phoenix, Zimbo, AJ, or any of the rest of you mods/administrators could you move this post to the best area so it can be taken advantage of by the most people? I know a lot, I just don't know where to post.... :biggrin :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Welcome it is nice to see someone on here offering advice rather than asking for it, don't worry about the comments above too much you will get use to which people on here are like that.

Certifications: A few.
  7. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea a couple of posters with a bit of a proverbial chip on their shoulders :p...j/k

Its nice as Rob mentioned to see someone willing to help without being asked.

I just hope the OP doesnt decide about 5 posts in to add a link to his website or something...that was my first impression...:dry

But if you are serious and clean willed about your offer...power to you and on behalf of everyone here that doesnt flame you for your (yet to be decided) good intentions...thanks for the offer.:)

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  8. ffreeloader

I think anyone who came here and made their post one of proclaiming their abilities would get exactly the same response. I know in that in meat life if you walk into someplace where you're unknown and basically say, as the OP did, I'm good, just ask me and I'll answer your questions, you will get a far less than enthusiastic response. You'll likely get at least a fair amount of backlash over it. Some people will tease you about it, as I did, others will respond with a "just who do you think you are?" attitude as Fergal just did.

People seem to forget that these forums are places where human responses are exaggerated because no one can see the body language of the person doing the "talking", or hear the tone of voice, so all context comes from the wording itself.

A much better entrance is to not tell everyone up front to ask you because you know the answers, but just to offer some sound advice when someone asks a question. Actions are always much better introductions than self-pronouncements of ability.....

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Exactly right.

I am not as well versed as some people here but I say this:Blowing your own trumpet makes you look like an arse and wont get you the response required.

Its better to show your ability than say hey I'm ******* good everybody, bow down in my presence :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Personally, I thought the guy was just kindly offering his knowledge. Didn't seem to be a hint of bragging or anything like that about the post. It's not like he was say 'Hey, I'm f*cking amazing and I know a lot more than all of you', is it?

If someone walked into my office claiming they knew my industry inside out, I'd happily listen to them, they may be talking ****e but I might learn something. Just strikes me as odd these response sseeing as there have been a load of threads recently about people really giving attitude to each other and how it's not right, yet someone posts and he gets jumped on immediately.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

maybe I was a bit harsh I am having a crap day :x

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. ffreeloader

You may well be right. I just know how the post struck me. I'd have kidded anyone who did the same in real life too, but that's just me. And no, I don't think he was over-top-bragging on himself. Maybe it's because I see a forum as a place to respond to people and to talk about my interests, not to tell people to come to me, personally, and ask me questions.

13. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Of course, mate, as you rightly pointed out, written comms is dangerous, can be taken a whole world of ways (hence why I prefer face to face rather than emails, no evidence then :twisted:)

14. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Dish out some one-inch punches to some louts mate, you'll be fine :)

15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey now. Thats not what my post was at all, and I cant really say that that comment was warranted.

I simply pointed out that we are each responsible for making an informed decision on where our posts should go, and not to rely on the mods to make it so. If its wrong, then the mods will move it, but no-one should rely on that.

My next comment was anything but that. It was a constructive comment about how best to offer your services on this forum. ie, that we already have an environment (which anyone can see by looking around) where people already feel free to ask questions and request advice and assistance. My comment that the best way to help is by posting into those threads and offer the advice is just plain good advice.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  16. ffreeloader

That's just how it came across to me. If you didn't mean it that way that's good. It just points out the vagaries of internet communication. I know many of my posts are taken in a context in which they were not written. That's just life on the internet.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, that study material is likely copyrighted. There are several of us here who make our living from the sale of certification and technology-related study tools. You wouldn't like it if we stole from you; please don't steal from us by offering our hard work freely on the Internet. Thanks, mate.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

oh the irony:D Good point cockles....

Id take AJ's advice to me when he suggested to read over your posts to make sure whatever you wrote doesnt come across like rudeness. As far as i am aware, YOU are responsible for what you write, and there are a few ways that you can reduce the chance of someone taking it the "wrong way"....why not use those avenues instead of sounding like a unwelcoming/discouraging forum member?(aimed at noone in particular)
    At the end of the day, most of you are intelligent enough to be able to differentiate between what might sound rude, to what will not.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's all good Andy, except for this part..

As BM has already pointed out, we do not approve of the proliferation of copyrighted material on this site (if that's what you meant). All other contributions you make in the future will be gratefully recieved.

I notice that you are an Ex Testra (spit) employee.. I guess that is forgivable, just :D

Thread moved as per your request.

Welcome to the forum 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. zillmere

zillmere Bit Poster

Guys,

I was not trying to blow my own horn or any of that crap. That is honestly not my style.

My offer was totally geniune and I made it for two reasons:

1. There is a lot of competition for jobs these days and I thought that guys starting out might benefit from someone elses experience and being able to talk to someone that knows the industry.

2. I have mentored staff before and I really enjoyed it because it is great to be able to help someone else.

As far as the study stuff I have, I am not seeking to dump pass 4 sures all over the place. I have no time for people that just want to dump an exam. I can see how that looks so my apologies for that. I actually meant that I have a test lab that I use and I have loads of Technet articles and freely available documentation that I use to supplement my hands on study.

Anyway, thanks to all that left positive comments. And for those that left negative comments, I hope I have clarified my intentions a little.

I will now shut up and try to help where I can by the odd post.

Andy