Anyone know anything about Getronics?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Steve.L, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi Peeps

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Getronics? They phoned me earlier today and asked if I would be interested in a Field Service engineer position with them. Only thing is they pay per call but guarantee a cetain amount of calls per day within a reasonably sized area. This is an ongoing contract and they will Dell certify me as well as maybe Lucent certification. I must admit I'm quite tempted as the job I have at the mo is very poorly paid but also not exactly taxing which is more important.

Any input would be gratefully recieved.

Steve

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  2. bloomfieldliam

bloomfieldliam Bit Poster

Think Dell use Getronics as Engineers to fix their PCs that's all I know though.

Liam

Certifications: A+, MCP XP, MA in IT, ECDL
  3. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Had an interview there, was offered a job also but had to decline due to personal circumstances. The role I had been accepted for was 1st/2nd line support for Securicor. Pretty big workplace out near Glasgow Airport. Good company to work for so i;ve been told.

4. total1

total1 New Member

Hi Steve

Have you made any progress finding info on Getronics ? I also was looking at a Getronics job and like you said they pay per call out which isn't ideal !

The job sounds good but the way they pay make them seem small-time and crap, although the ad says they turnover 3 billion euro's a year !

Cheers
    James

Certifications: A+, N+,70-270,70-290,MCDST 70-271,70-272
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

No not yet m8y, will let you know soon as ;)

Steve

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I know that T-Mobile outsource all there IT support to these poeple.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Absolute nightmare mate.

I've been forced to use them on three of the contracts I've worked in the past. Almost without exception their techs have been sh1te - unprofessional, slow, inexperienced and just plain wrong on several occasions.

As a perfect example, I had one particular tool turn up four times in the space of a fortnight to replace 'faulty disks' in a server that was less than three months old - I had to forcibly 'tell' him (well, shout at him would be more like it) that the backplane was faulty rather than the disks - once this was replaced - voila, errors resolved.

There was one exception - but the company i was working for ended up nicking him, so I best keep quiet about that!

Seriously, just like most of the other field service companies, they rake in an absolute fortune in profits, whilst treating their tech staff like dirt. I suppose, in hindsight, if I were being paid by the call, I'd want to get as many calls in as possible as well really.

Beware of the 'guaranteed number of calls' scam as well - a lot of these companies work on the basis that there are a set number of 'problem' clients which ALWAYS have lots of calls outstanding with them - your 'guaranteed calls' may end up being trying to resolve problems that are unresolvable. This is OK if your unresolved calls still count as a 'call', but make sure this is the case - because if it isn't, you might end up on a site somewhere where the onsite staff are trying to 'fit a square peg into a round hole' with no hope of success, and no hope of you being paid

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Tks everyone did a little more investigation and decided to give them a miss.

Steve

9. total1

total1 New Member

I think I'll also give them a miss.
    Oh well the hunt continues to break into IT !! :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+,70-270,70-290,MCDST 70-271,70-272
    WIP: MCSA