Anyone into genealogy ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by UKDarkstar, Apr 10, 2010.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

With a recent family bereavement and a wedding there has been much chat in my family about keeping in touch, getting all the old stories/people/dates noted down and generally pulling together the "family tree".

Bits of it have been done in the past and on my mother's father's side of the family it goes back to the 1600's.

I've now come across a good little prog called TNG - The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding which I've uploaded to my VPS and it's really good. If anyone else is interested in this sort of thing I'd def say to give it a go as it's so easy to use.

Be good to hear what others use or have researched too.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I've tried researching mine along with me old man. We get back to 1813 or around then, and it gets near impossible to find any more. Turns out my gret great great (great?) grandad lived with his step dad and sister but also a year earlier with a different family altogther and theres no record of his birth that we can find. On my gggg Grand ams side we get back to around teh same time but teh tree gets so big by then (we were a large family it seems).
    Its harder to keep going back without investing a lot of time and money into this. It costs to get records, plus sometimes you need to visit parish records teh other side of teh country etc to get the info you need. So far all we've done was online. Ever so often i revisit this and try to do a bit more.

I know Mitzs is into this as well but as she's in the states it may be a bit easier for her as thier records are better kept and only go back a few hundred years.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,