Anyone here NOT study IT when in formal education?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have always felt at a real disadvantage in regards to not studying IT when in formal education such as school/college.. I’ve had to self teach 95% of what I know which isnt always good. Anyone else not takeup IT when at school/college? If your answer is yes then how did you learn the different aspects of it? Im still not the best troubleshooter when it comes to hardware/networking.

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I wasnt taught it in school but I have always liked taking things to bits and putting them back together again. I used to be a mechanic so I was ideal for that. I think if I had done IT rather than cars I would be ahead with more experience.

I seem to have a common sense approach when it comes to diagnosing stuff, when someone rings up and says their network isnt working, i dont think its time for a new computer...

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Jaron78 and dmarsh like this.
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I learned on my own when I was a kid. My bachelor's degree is in Chemistry.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Troubleshooting skills when diagnosing a faulty car ABSOLUTELY translates to troubleshooting skills in IT. My dad worked on cars as a hobby when he was younger. If he were born later, I could see him being a tech.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I didn't even know that this kind of work existed until I got a job in accounts. I did IT in college, but it was just spreadsheets and word and stuff like that. So I thought that's what IT WAS.

When I was younger I realised that I had more fun trying to fix games consoles than actually playing them. Plus making adjustments to hex code to see what crazy things happened in games was cool.

When I found out you could do basically the same thing as a job I was sold.

You can't teach troubleshooting. You can teach methodology, but that's not the same thing. It comes with experience and perseverance.

Edit: Also, my biggest lightbulb moment in regards to troubleshooting was realising how important reading logs is. You're basically fumbling around in the dark without them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    dmarsh and Jaron78 like this.