Anyone for CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jodsclass, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Hi guys. The terrible truth is I graduate in earnest in 2 months. Although I have done all the work and Most of the exams already, I still have to wait on my graduation (many of you will know there is industrial action currently on the part of the lecturers union and unison which prevents marking of any work, which is putting my graduation back and back).

I have racked up a fair amount of debt whilst at uni and its paramount I get into the workplace asap. Id prefer to jump straight into an IT role but I know this probably wont be the case. Just wondering if any of you kind sir's (or ma'am's) could check over my CV and see what needs adding or subtracting.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

jodsclass :blink

Attached Files:

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry mate just got a question... why dont you think you will not get a junior helpdesk role? You have the experience and a degree! Certs are a plus but experience is the world! Give it a try and i think you might be in for a suprise! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Really? I didnt think I would have a chance at getting anything once I left university, least not until I got some certs under my belt. I am unsure if employers will see the helpdesk role at university as viable (although I do work my ass off). Also the PC world experience is fairly old now and I parted with that company on bad terms so i doubt I would be issued a reference.

I really need guidance on the subject but the careers service at university still think that 640x480 screen reolution is fine to work on (drives me mad when im sat chatting to them and their resolutions are awful). They keep saying yeah with a degree you should get an IT consultancy job, and im like, no, sorry, not happening lady.

I just need some guidance on what kinda things you think I could get, and if I have ommitted or included anything on the CV which maybe i shouldnt have.

Cheers for the reply mate.

Jodsclass

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im going to leave the cv editing to the more experienced guys cause our cv's are nearly the same.. but ill carry on with the job... have you tried doing a placement or something to gain a little more experience? Oh and why you not looking at something you studyed in?

5. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

To be honest, the whole web design thing grates on me now. After 3 years of doing it at Uni, and producing numerous sites for clients, im tired with it. I dont like flash, and my graphics skills arent too great, design firms seem to want the whole package now, coders with design and flash skills. Its not where I want to be. I have always been a techie and id rather earn a small amount and be a pc technican that earn more money but be unhappy in my work (not that techs earn small amounts, just less to start out with). The degree hasnt been solely design, I have been taught the legalities of ICT and lots of management stuff, which is handy.

Jodsclass

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i know what it feels like.. i did an HND in Computer Science and dont even mention it! Im 21 and going into uni this sept to do computer networking and ill be looking for a job when i get out.. but i got certs and some experience in the real world but im still afraid i wont make the cut as early as im hoping.. didnt they have a placement year?

7. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Every other degree route in my department had a placement, all but my route. Its a joke. To be honest the whole course was a joke. Web design and one point they had me learning the dewey decimal classification system, apparently incase we become information officers and need to know how to classify, what a joke.

Jodsclass

P.S. Good luck with the uni. Hope it all works out well for you.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks! Middlesex here i come! Btw what certs you looking at? What roles in IT? I mean IT tech can be lots of things.. but whats your ultimate vision of you in 10 or 15 years?

9. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

I'd like to be a Network technician or systems technician int he coming years, and then onto a systems admin or network admin, maybe even systems manager. However I definatley want to stay on the hardware side of things, tinkering with hardware and networks satisfies me no end, sitting programming and using software suites such as studio mx bores me fairly quickly. I do enjoy setting up software and maintaining it, but ultimately id rather be hands on.

jodsclass

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

have you considered database's and database administration? MYSQL??

11. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

okay, looking at your cv, here's what i would do (which is not necessarily what you should do).

the profile section i would either (rewrite and) transfer to my cover letter, or drop entirely. and to be honest, i'm actually leaning toward dropping it. the reason is that every bit of information that is mentioned in the profile, is already mentioned somewhere else in the cv. and repetition is one of the pitfalls when writing a cv/cover letter.
    maybe the profile could be put in the cover letter (after a heavy rewrite, making sure it doesn't repeat the cv), but a cover letter should really be more about why you are the one person for that particular company. in a perfect world you should investigate the company before writing and then tailor the cover letter to that company. so the profile doesn't really belong in the cover letter, unless you can rewrite it to make a point.
    so, all in all, i would drop it.

the expertise and achievements sections i would drop as well, but i would try to incorporate the information into the descriptions in the work and eduction sections. again, avoiding repetition.

the work experience and education sections are good. just flesh them out with the info from the expertise and achievements sections.

the software skills section borders repetition again, and is highly subjective. a cv should be a list of loosely verifiable facts. a list of skills is too vague, and relies too much on faith, not fact.
    however, some employers like to see such a list. it depends. if you decide to include it, maybe you could indicate a level of proficiency, like "beginner", "advanced", etc.
    personally, i would drop it.

so basically my cv would look like this:

• name and contact details
    • education
      • school 1 + description
      • school 2 + description
      • etc.
    • certs
      • cert 1 + description
      • cert 2 + description
      • etc.
    • work
      • work 1 + description
      • work 2 + description
      • etc.

for the descriptions you can use the info that is in the expertise, achievements, and maybe the skills sections, but keep it short, tight and to the point.

again, this is just my personal take on it.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your C.V reads well, I would try and make it the standard 2 pages though. Also you say you have 10 years experience, if its not *commercial* experience then its not 10 years experience. You do have commercial experience so highlight that and you should be fine.

Best of luck mate! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Thanks d-Faktor. this is just the kind of critical overview I am looking for. its easy to think a CV is perfect when you have written it and read it enough times. It takes someone elses eye to realise which bits are good and which bits suck. I get what your saying about the structure of it, I used the pinned article RE killer CV to write this thing, maybe I took it all too litterally. I agree the acheivements could be integrated intot he work experience section, however Im not sure about putting education before experience. Ill mock up a few including covering letters and see which ones seem to work.

Again cheers for your advice.

Jodsclass

14. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Thanks Sparky, Will do that. I guess your right about commercial experience, however that will cut my actual experience down to 2 years commercial and 3 years at uni, eek. i best get securing some more experience. Do you think I should include my pc building experience, the work I did whilst at uni on the side to support my studies? It was all work i touted myself and was mostly for friends and family, could I class this as experience?

Cheers for the reponses so far, and thanks for pointing that out sparky.

Jodsclass

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Two years experience is a great thing to put on your C.V so don’t sell yourself short. I think you should mention the PC repair work you did while you were at uni. I did the same thing when I graduated and it helped me land my first full time job.

Personally I think you should highlight the lab technical support you did as 100 client PCs should have thrown up a few problems and given you some hands on experience Did you get near the servers? If so you could mention server administration on your C.V.

Reading through this thread kinda reminds me of when I graduated as my degree was based in Software Development with an element of Network Support but I ended up working in IT support (no software jobs at the time!). Looks like you are making the switch from web coding to being a techie! Your web skills will always come in handy though!

One last point, you could put your A+ and Network+ studies on your C.V as well. This would gear your C.V more towards technical support in regard to qualifications\certs. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Cheers Sparky. Unfortunately i didnt get near the servers as they are hosted in their own building and the network admins never let anyone near them. it would have been good to get some network experience in this job but we have full time network support in the server building too so they are normally in tip top shape. I have had loads of hands on in the lab though. suprising how apparently intelligent people known as uni students can damage a machine, or worse still not damage it and claim its damaged (some people are beyond help). Mostly fixing machines because people have spilled srinks on them and the likes, ruining the cases and optical drives but in most cases nothing more serious. Ive had alot of troubleshooting experience with our huge HP laser printers too. Students open all the service hatchs and just pull if they suspect a jam, often making matters worse (spent 2 hours picking paper out of the mechanisms and rollers 2 nights ago). Perhaps your right, maybe I am selling myself short with the experience. I have applied for about 12 jobs in 2 days so I will see if I get any call backs.

As for adding my studies to the CV, thanks for the advice, will pop it on there today. At least, I guess it shows im compitent and willing to fund my own development.

Cheers for the advice sparky (and sorry for the rant, just students and computers dont mix well imho, they just don't respect the kit they are given in most cases which is a real shame).

Cheers
    Jodsclass

17. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Well i've had calls from 2 seperate jobs I applied for late last night, one for a Grammar school IT tech and another for an IT sales post. Not keen on the sales post but the grammar school asked when id be available to start working (subject to interview and references) and again asked what I expect to graduate with, Looking good for that one. Guss the tweaks to the Cv late last night made the difference.

Cheers Guys

Jodsclass

18. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Graduate with 2 years experience- that's not too shabby at all.

Go to jobserve and search on your area and add the word "graduate" and "degree"

There are lots of positions which will only take graduates.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging