Anyone ever worked in software testing?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, May 21, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

how do you get into this feild?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I test stuff as a developer sometimes, and I sometimes work with testers.
    Think most are computer science grads that can't code, but the barrier to entry is pretty low for most test jobs to be honest.

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Do you know if theres any relevant certs to boost the CV? I have looked into ISTQB certs not sure how worthwhile they are. I have always had an interest in software testing.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Certs dont really help much in testing in my opinion. Yes there is the ISTQB, but 90%+ testers wont have it and it doesn't affect them much.

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Juelz, please honestly don't take this the wrong way but....

I really don't think IT is for you, you appear to be flip flopping between different areas of IT because nothing really gets your juices flowing, I really think you need to take a long hard think of what it is you want out of life and whether it's IT related because I've seen you talk about all sorts of different areas in IT and you stick with it for a short time before moving onto the next thing.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Pseudonym likes this.
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Well Im still new to it all and exploring what direction I want to go in.. I dont want to be in desktop support forever so Im looking into future plans, dont see the big deal..

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

How long have you been in IT? It generally takes years to progress.

I mean I have been working in IT now for nearly 20 years, I spent the first couple doing desktop support, moving to server support, SCCM work, Virtualisation and finally management.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Almost approaching 3.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have junior virtualisation engineers on my team that have been in the industry for nearly 10 years