Anyone been watching the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Feb 25, 2010.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Not doing too good are we (UK)! Thank god for Amy Williams :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I don't think we ever have done good for I think the last 30 or 20 years, If I remember rightly the last time England won a gold in any winter olympics was almost 20 or 30 years ago.

Then again screw the winter olympics :biggrin we didn't do to bad at the 2008 Beijing Olympics though 8)

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Our last gold in the Winter Olympics was 2002 actually, we've only ever one 9 golds at winter competitions.

out of 874 competitors hwo have gone we've won 22 medals since 1924, compared to the summer olympics thats total bloody ****e. But... we don't really make good olympiads overall, plenty of summer games have ended with us bringing back a fairly poor medal count.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

These sort of typo's make me laugh :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

ahhh shuddup...:oops:

I'd just knocked the only cup of tea I've had so far today flying across my desk after dealing with some real pain in the arse niggley issues.... So yeah, its been a fairly ****e morning. and the afternoon is going to be worse (writing test plans for our new website).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Mens Hockey, Canada 7-3 last night!!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

These sort of grammatical mistakes make me laugh. :p

You asked for it. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

After a big loss to the US. :twisted:

9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thought it was the UK, no? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What I want to know is WTF is curling all about?

someone slides some big thing into a circle whilst two people brush the ice for some strange reason. I mean I can hardly see sweeping the ice makes it smoother so the big thing slides faster. If they want it to go faster then push it harder :blink

Those skiers are nuts :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

actually it does. they spray the ice to form "pebbles" - droplets of water frozen to the ice to increase friction. the sweeping breaks them up to allow smoother transition across the ice. and as the game goes on, the effects of previous transitions could have some unintended effects on the stone.

Its no more WTF than darts really, or bowls. its just a sport people play.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ok thanks for letting me know, I always wondered that sweeping crap was about.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

ladies + tight body hugging suits, now thats worth watching the winter olympics for!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The hockey has been awesome. Canada finally looks like they're getting their act together - pummelling the Russians last night. I'm looking forward to a possible final between the Canadians and the US. Canada should be too strong for them, but the yanks out-toughed them last Sunday in the group showdown, so should be awesome. That's providing they both get through tough semi-finals of course - Finland and Slovakia are no pushovers (though the Swedes going out is a major boost for Canada as they would have matched up better with them)

Apart from the short-track speed skating, the rest is all 'meh' to me.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

The ski cross was the highlight so far for me.

Close racing combined with high speed crashes!

Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  16. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

The Canadian womens team have kicked the US's butts so the mens could go the same way. . . .!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Women's hockey is an absolute joke. Canada beat SLovakia 18-0 in the opening game of the tourney - and this was a Slovakia side who had beaten Bulgaria 82-0 to get there (yes, that's not a typo - the exact score was EIGHTY-TWO - NIL). The Canadians and Americans are so far ahead of everyone that it's utterly pointless it being in the Olympics - especially since the criteria for inclusion as an Olympic sport is that the sport in question must be played widely, and competitively, in 25 different countries. Inclusion in the Olympics is an absolute disgrace, as it just guarantees either Canada or the US a gold medal.

18. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

oh my. it was AWWWEEEESSSOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEEE DOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

Its my favourite winter olympic sport. brilliant. Next time, give them chains and bats.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You say that as if it's a bad thing. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It is. Much as if Pelota were allowed back into the Olympics, Spain would win it every time. That would be wrong - this is wrong. Uncompetitive sport should not be medal-worthy. By all rights, have it as a demonstration spot, but to give out medals for it is patnetly ludicrous.