Any tips for self studying?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by IThurts, Feb 12, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Prob going to go for the CIW foundation slf study method...any tips for self studying that you guys find invaluable?:oops:

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Self study is easy if you are motivated enough.

Get the books read and re-read until you understand the concepts invloved. In your case I would make a portfolio of designs and keep practicing designing untill you are confident then when you are ready take the exams and hopefully after you pass you'll have small portfolio to show to employers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

It's a been a LONG time since I studied for the CIW Foundations exam, but I remember that it was crucial to know the HTML tags. I'd grab an HTML book and start creating basic Web sites and using the HTML tags. The CIW Web site lists several third-party books and site that might be useful: LINK That'd be where I would start. Good luck!

4. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Have a look on www.w3cschools.com for some really good tutorials on web design.
    Also have a look on www.lynda.com which i use everyday :biggrin

But you will really find it hard to find decent up-to-date books on CIW. To be honest...i thought about doing the last exam ( E-commerce) but couldn't find enough decent study material. And these U.K distributors are just ripping people off!
    It cost me $150 ( 79 pounds) for the site designer material off the CIW web site and within three months they stopped shipping it all to the U.K. When i looked at the U.K sellers, they where and still are, charging treble that!!!!!!! :x

So, you will find it hard m8, and i wish you all the luck! A tip though: Try looking on Ebay? :biggrin

Certifications: CIW Professional
  5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Make as many notes as possible, even if you never refer back to them you will absorb more than you realise, oh and walking around talking about the subject aloud to yourself:D is always helpful, imagine you have to teach it and consider the sort of questions you might get asked, 'no is sounds mad but hey, works for me

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You guys need to all go in together on one copy, and rotate it around. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

actually talking to yourself about a subject you are studying is very good, I do it.

You'll look like a mad **** if someone sees you but it works.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Yer! lol, that's sounds a good idea. :p

Certifications: CIW Professional
  9. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea, the foundation self study kit for the NEW CIW exam is selling, but i understand not to the UK. But i have found someone who is willing to sell me all official 4 books with the CD etc, for £100, so might snap that up...its for the 510 exam and not the 410....i hope :blink
    If not, i will get my bro who lives in chicago to buy them for me and then ship them here for me ;)

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

After you've used them, there are a bunch of people likely willing to buy them from you (assuming the copyright allows resale). :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!