Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by juice142, Apr 3, 2007.

1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6521255.stm

And from there,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4715612.stm

Hmm...

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Fix your links you've http:// twice :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

All fixed :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My thoughts:

1. I think your links are (EDIT: were) broken.
    2. I think the title of your post should be more descriptive than "Any thoughts?" so we have some idea that what we're clicking is work-safe or not.
    3. I think he shouldn't have screwed with the US's computer systems, and I think he's gonna pay the price for that.

:p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Without looking at the links it's about the McKinnon guy that could end up with a 30 year jail sentence and a $1.75 million fine, am I right?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. BosonMichael

Yep.

From the article:

Brilliant logic, mate. Breaking into my neighbor's house is an easy "hack" if they leave a window or door unlocked... but I still go to jail for doing so, don't I?

Whoops. Hard lesson to have to learn, eh? Betcha won't do it again next time...

Ah, and so we get to the root of the problem! :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's the costly price he would have to pay for he's own very stupidity. I think he was just inquisitive and an opportunist.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Chances are they'll end up employing him !

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  9. Crito

Crito Banned

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Give a guy a job at MS! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. B1n0ry

B1n0ry Bit Poster

imo :biggrin....give him a medal... if he found a way in, who else could!! then again I dont really know the FULL facts, only what I see/read in the media... and they always have the full facts, :hhhmmm just wondered! (why the pic of the twin towers!!)

WIP: CCNA
  12. BosonMichael

It's only injustice if he gets off without punishment. :dry

13. BosonMichael

Did you not read the caption below the pic? :blink

14. Crito

Crito Banned

It's an injustice if the punishment doesn't fit the crime. It's a further injustice if he's being made a scapegoat for someone else's gross negligence.

More heads than just McKinnons' should have rolled over this. But apparently it's only us lowly plebians that have to pay for our mistakes. Governments and corporations never admit to any "wrong doing". :x

15. Crito

Crito Banned

As far as Hanssen is concerned they should have strapped him into "old sparky" right here in Tennessee and juiced him up until his eyeballs popped out. Just like they did the Rosenbergs. And his family should have lost everything and been out on the street. Just like we do to the families of other criminals in this country. That would have been justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel_and_Julius_Rosenberg

16. BosonMichael

Please. My negligence in locking my front door does not hold harmless a person who intrudes into my house and steals things that do not belong to him.

And if you don't think that the information security personnel at that site were not reprimanded or fired, you're either not thinking logically or you're simply speaking emotionally. Certainly the news articles didn't mention it... but the news articles weren't about the weak security... they were about the person who broke the weak security and stole confidential information. Further, I'm quite sure you won't find many entities (governmental or corporate) who will publicly announce the reprimand or dismissal of their personnel. So, hey, if that makes them evil because they don't announce stuff like that, I guess you'll just have to think they're evil.

17. BosonMichael

Never said they should or shouldn't have... but this thread isn't about Hanssen or the Rosenbergs.

18. B1n0ry

B1n0ry Bit Poster

actually no :dunce (it was just a very quick perusal!:biggrin)... then I saw your other quote....

and thought, 'nor is it about 9/11,' :confused3

WIP: CCNA
  19. BosonMichael

No, it isn't... and that's why I haven't brought it up, other than to mention that the pic was captioned thusly. You could always complain to the BBC editors...