Any Support desk analyst out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Haroon Mustafa, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

I just gained a job as 1/2nd line support analyst. I was wondering if anybody has any pointers they'd like to share. Or any experiences they've had as a service desk analyst.

I just started and I am in training for the next 3 weeks. It`s my first job as a service desk analyst, and i am overwhelmed with SLAs and priorities tickets. I understand it all in theory but putting it in to practice is daunting.

However, i am looking forward to getting my head down and doing things.

ps
    motivation needed/

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Congrats!

All the motivation you need is that you just landed your first IT job.

Take advice from your peers and tech's above you - don't be afraid to ask questions! Make sure you actively take notes when learning about new processes and technologies, you'll lean on these when it comes to fixing items.

Enjoy the new role, onwards and upwards from here! :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  3. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Congratulations mate :)

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Weldone mate!

I know what you mean when landing my job on the helpdesk I felt like it was too much to remember and too much stress (still is) after my first few weeks I was ready to throw the towel in. Now Im more relaxed and havd gotten used to the stress.. Give it time youll be bossing it mate.

5. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Best advice, become a sponge and try and remain as calm as possible when dealing with irate and stupid users.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I would say use something to help you keep track of as much as you can. I use google keep as well as one note. The amount of information you will learn is amazing. The other week I was deleting reg keys remotely due to profile issues, I had 10 computers to do, did it all in a few minutes, I also connected to those computers and renamed the profiles...... only by writing the bits down first, then piecing them together was I able to use this. You will get jobs that take time, figuring out how to do this quickly will be a nifty little trick.

I have been doing it 2 1/2 years now still enjoying the majority of it as well

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680