Any recent Firebrand training experience?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by manicprev, Nov 19, 2012.

1. manicprev

manicprev New Member

My employers want to send me on a VCP 5 course, which I am naturally thrilled about :biggrin .

I have looked over the posts on here and there is nothing recent with regards to the quality of the accomodation, food and instruction at Firebrand.

I know the advantages and disadvantages of a bootcamp course, so just wanted some recent feedback before I commit a large sum of my MD's money.

Thank you in advance.

Certifications: MCITP, MCSE, MCSA (administrator and solutions associate)
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

If your MD has a spare few grand floating around then he can send me on the course as well if he likes :)

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

It's been about 3 years since I've been, but a number of colleagues have been over the last couple of weeks for various courses (CISSP and CISM I believe).

From my experience, and from what the guys have said who have been this month, food and accommodation is basic but suitable for the time you are there. It's no 5 star hotel, it's a room with a bed, old small tv and a kettle but arguably that's all you need/want when you should be studying.

I'm fussy with my food anyway so to me it wasn't great, it does the job I guess. Depending on how long you're there you may go a little stir crazy being cooped up there so can be worthwhile popping out one night for some food or something elsewhere.

The instruction for the courses I've been on has always been good but again it will depend on the course you're doing, I couldn't comment on the VCP.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Firebrand don't do the VCP, instead they have a bastardised Virtualisation Exam that doesn't tie back to VMware (CVE), so be warned that you will be attending a course with Firebrand that won't give you the VCP certification if you pass the exam.

If I were you I would give 360GSP a call instead (google them) as they offer not just weekday training but also weekend training.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Beerbaron likes this.
  5. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Firebrand don't offer any authorised VMware training so if you want to gain your VCP you definitely need to look at a different provider.

The "CVE" certification that Firebrand talk about is worthless in my opinion in terms of the job market, and to VMware partners.

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  6. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I would also recommend these guys

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  7. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I notice that 360gsp have a guarantee of £22-£32k on the website, I know that we should not trust this from many training providers... but is it a better guarantee through gsp?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  8. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I cant comment on this although i have seen their leaflets for these when i have been there. I can only comment on their VMware training. I wouldn't choose a training provider solely on their offer to provide you a job. Passing your cert should help do this.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  9. paulr

paulr New Member

I did mine a while ago, when they were in Oxfordshire. I did an MCTS.

It's very hard work. I think I spoke to the missus three times in nine days, both briefly. You don't get much sleep - breakfast-dinner-tea interspersed with work, tea breaks, extra reading at night.

The one thing I would advise is taking (a) an alarm clock (b) a comfy chair (camping type) and (c) pillows because the latter two were substandard in my accommodation and there's a lot of reading to do.

Tutor was very good, knew his stuff, knew how to deliver it.

Food was good as well, also lots of snacks - endless free drinks and snacks for the evening.

Really they do what they say on the tin. I did wonder if this is what prison is like - it's a really enclosed environment, you never really see the outside world. No time for R&R but you get through the material quickly.

You really must have experience of the contents up front and look on it as a finishing school. The pace is so fast there is no time to go back and review stuff if you get behind.
    Good luck :)