Any possible way of receiving a refund from a TP?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Maseybaby, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Maseybaby

Maseybaby Bit Poster

Hi, just a quick question, I signed up with advent training (yeh stupid decision) and I starting questioning everything since their first book came and it had atleast 3000 words misspelled. Anyway the workshops are ok (only been to one) but after coming onto this website, I can get the same stuff seen as it's basically all self taught anyway and save myself a fortune. Any idea on if this is possible?
    Cheers
    Lee

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Computer Sci, MCDST, MCITP, CCNA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Once you have passed the cooling off period as stated in the contract you signed, your pretty much obligated.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if your past the cooling off period there may not be much you can do. If you could prove to a solicitor and court that you have been mis-sold your course or have been given inadequate material then you could have a case but it would probably cost you unless you got the solicitors fees paid for as part of compensation.

Yours is the 3rd post this week about Advent and it's only Tuesday.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. postman

postman Byte Poster

Make an appointment with the CAB and explain the details to them who should give you free legal advice.

WIP: A+
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Unless you can prove that they have invalidated the terms and conditions of their contract with you, then I think you'll find it both difficult and expensive to get your money back. You may even end up worse off after legal fees, in which case the court proceedings would have been 'a matter of principle'. And I don't get the impression you're solvent enough for a morality court case.

I suggest you make the best of what you perceive to be a bad situation.

If as part of the course Advent are offering hands on tutorials and paying for your exam fees, then ride it out. If you feel their material isn't up to scratch, then punting out a further £30 or so on the Mike Meyers All In One for A+ isn't going to dent what you've paid the TP so far. Do their TMAs based on the knowledge you get from self studying, sit the exams, and get your exam refunds (if they offer them). That way, at least you are getting some benefit back from the course.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA