Any other Terry Goodkind fans looking forward to the serialisation?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

http://www.terrygoodkind.com/lots/lots.mov

I am awaiting this with a sense of excitement and dread.

It was admitted quite early on in the project that the story itself - even as early as the Wizard's First Rule book - will be changed to adapt it to television.

Whilst that is disappointing in itself, Terry himself seems to have had such a level of contribution that the story should stay plausibly on track - and it certainly seems to (appear to) have a good budget.

So whilst I am afraid that the books themselves, which are quite, quite brilliant, may be ruined beyond comprehension, they certainly seem to have put in the effort!

Any other takers want to chat about it? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have one of his books that I bought when on holiday and stopped reading it when I found out it was the 10th or 11th in a series (no indication on the book at all). I may get around to buying the first at some point (Wizards first rule).

I always hoped that my favorite author (the late David Gemmel) would turn some of his popular books into movies. He always said that when he had looked into it, there wasn't much control on what they did with series in the future. ie they could release a sequel that wasn't anything to do with the author and take characters in a direction they wouldn't approve of.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

It takes a very special production company to take the risk and allow the original author a sizable say in how a movie or TV special is made.

Terry Pratchett has been lucky with his recent adaptations for Sky, especially after having idiot hollywood execs asking if Death could be removed from Mort!!!

There are so many books that I would love to see brought to the big or small screen, but fear that they could end up ruined. Take LotR ... I am not a mad devotee ... (I am not fluent in Quenyan) but even I got hacked off with this mysterious army of elves appearing at Helm's Deep ... and how many bloody endings did Jacko want?

Terry Goodkind's stuff would make a fantastic set of tv specials ... a bit Morse-like where each one is that extra bit longer than a standard TV show ... or maybe even 3 hours per special.

Like everything else though .. this costs and the big money is at the Box Office and DVD ... not the small screen (often the best place IMHO).