Any opinions on this router??

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Japanese Elvis, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

I currently have cable broadband and a wireless access point.

I have two desktop pc's on a simple crossover connection with internet connection sharing enabled on the one with the wireless adapter.

I've recently come by an old P3 laptop with a wireless card and am considering changing the simple WAP for a router.

This router http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=338399 is currently on offer at £29.96 plus postage.

Anybody got an opinion on this piece of kit? - or any other that I should consider??

Thanks

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I Elvis, I've never used the router in question but I have a Belkin Pre-N Wi-Fi router with a matching desktop card and I would recommend that to anyone. Despite being two years old it regularly comes top of performance comparisons in magazines.

I get a data throughtput of 35 - 40 Mbps on mine. Fast enough for HDTV streaming.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

if you dont want to go down the route of buying expensive new parts...why no swap the crossover for a hub?

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  4. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  5. Baba O'Riley

Um, has anyone else spotted the line "DSL Connection for Cable Customers". PC World are such a professional, knowledgable outfit!

Good luck Elvis, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the USB adapter because I've always been told to steer clear of them. Now I think about it, I'm not sure why, USB 2 throughput is more than enough to cover a Wi-Fi connection. Anyone know why?

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This seems to be a general description. I agree it is confusing. However, many cable routers are described as 'DSL' on the grounds that it is a subscriber line and is digital. Even though it has no relation to xDSL.

Quite a few routers now offer a USB connection for those who don't have ethernet. IMHO USB is definitely a 'poor relation' to ethernet, but it *does* work most of the time.

My view is to use ethernet always - it is much more stable.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Baba O'Riley

I can see why a USB adapter would have its advantages though, such as on a laptop without having to worry about an external power source.

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - why would you need an external power source for a PCMCIA card?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Baba O'Riley

:oops: Note to self: Stop talking cr@p and get some sleep. These shift patterns will be the end of me... :oops: