any NTFS geniuses out there?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by supernova, Aug 7, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Improving my background knowledge ...

I have a chart listing special permissions (advanced) under there respective permissions.

this has come up with two problems that confuse me.

1. the "Write" permission should according to this chart have "Read Permissions"
    when i look on a XP system this isn't the case. yet you can read permissions.

2. The "Write" permission can only overwrite a file (overwrite when appending?), Modify can modify a file.
    I cant seem to find respective special permissions that distinguish between these rules (overwriting only)
    both permissions use "Create Files/Write Data" and "Create Folders / Append Data" as rules for writing or modifying a file, hence the writing operations look the same.

can anyone please explain ?

(mr boston?)

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

Well the thing is with NTFS, I think best policy is to keep it real simple.....you can all too easily get involved in makeing changes at too granular a level and end up in an Admin mess.

However this article seems clear to me;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

Hope this helps

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  3. supernova

Thanks for the reply daft_togger

This is purely extra theory because i am interested

That chart on kb308419 is exactly the same as the one i have .

if you look at the Write permission column then look on a real system (clearing other users and inheritance etc)

You will see that the "Read Permissions" special permission isn't set under the "Write" permission, yet you can read permissions

4. supernova

i have been told that its a error on Microsofts behalf in the 271 book (chapter 5-24 )
    that write and modify permissions both overwrite, change/modify and append to files.

just trying to confirm , because from my experiments it seems that it is the case.